What's new

Modem Bridge with AX11000 Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SignedAdam

Regular Contributor
Looking to buy a modem I can Bridge with my AX11000, so far I've come across two that have catched my eye

ASUS DSL N16

& or

ZyXEL VMG1312

Obviously I love flashing open source firmware on my stuff however I believe I wouldn't be able to do that with these modems, been looking at Open WRT.

The ZyXEL looks like it has the better hardware on paper not that I will be using much of it, cause it will be a dummy for my AX11000 router which will do most of the work when I place one of these in modem only mode/bridge

So far I've found the UK has hardly any (just modems) modems with out any WiFi rubbish, pushing up cost?

From my research I've seen Asus doesn't really work in the modem only space and ZyXEL does, both are a similar price, so I'm finding it difficult any advice before I push the trigger on one?

Last edited:
modem? your ISP will allow you to connect any modem? What ISP have in offer, can this device will be set in bridge.

modem? your ISP will allow you to connect any modem? What ISP have in offer, can this device will be set in bridge.
My ISP is BT FTTC VDSL2 I want to see the states and all that, right now I'm using a Dm200 by NETGEAR but its interface is so slow and has hardly any information when in modem only mode, so looking at one of the two above

ok, if you can connect what you want why you will not think about media converter VDSL2 to RJ45 ?

My ISP is BT FTTC VDSL2 I want to see the states and all that, right now I'm using a Dm200 by NETGEAR but its interface is so slow and has hardly any information when in modem only mode, so looking at one of the two above

I'd check your ISP for their approved modem list and source one of those. ZyXEL is used by US ISPs for xDSL service. I've not seen Asus on any ISP approved modem lists, so maybe not common. Bridging works except it can be tricky logging back into the modem until you configure your admin PC to use a similar static IP address and wire it directly to the modem. As for xDSL, it generally suffers from 'last mile' twisted pair issues... in the US, copper is falling into disrepair.

I've bridged a ZyXEL xDSL modem/router/AP before to connect an RT-AC68U... worked fine until I convinced the owner to switch to a cable ISP, which is more stable and reliable (coax is immune to noise).

OE

Last edited:
Sorry I don't follow? This is a vdsl2 line, I haven't heard of anyone converting a line from a RJ45 to a cat5 and it working
ok, if you can connect what you want why you will not think about media converter VDSL2 to RJ45 ?

I'd check your ISP for their approved modem list and source one of those. ZyXEL is used by US ISPs for xDSL service. I've not seen Asus on any ISP approved modem lists, so maybe not common. except can be tricky logging back into the modem until you configure your admin PC to use a similar IP address. As for xDSL, it generally suffers from 'last mile' twisted pair issues... in the US, copper is falling into disrepair.

I've bridged a ZyXEL xDSL modem/router/AP before to connect an RT-AC68U... worked fine

OE
My ISP BT can go take jump if they think I'm going to use their equipment... Home hubs are a Nationwide problem in my eyes, it really comes down to hardware and which is better, software wise Asus wins

I'd check your ISP for their approved modem list and source one of those. ZyXEL is used by US ISPs for xDSL service. I've not seen Asus on any ISP approved modem lists, so maybe not common. Bridging works except it can be tricky logging back into the modem until you configure your admin PC to use a similar IP address. As for xDSL, it generally suffers from 'last mile' twisted pair issues... in the US, copper is falling into disrepair.

I've bridged a ZyXEL xDSL modem/router/AP before to connect an RT-AC68U... worked fine until I convince the owner to switch to a cable ISP, which is more stable and reliable.

OE
Unfortunately most areas in the UK have only FTTC here ( fibre to the cabinet) I don't have access to FTTH ( fibre to the home) which I assume is cable

FTTH isn't cable, it is Fibre terminated to an ONT. With (at minimum) Cat5e RJ45 connections (or better).

Unfortunately most areas in the UK have only FTTC here ( fibre to the cabinet) I don't have access to FTTH ( fibre to the home) which I assume is cable

FTTC means twisted pair copper from there to your home (say 18,000 feet max). Voice grade twisted pair does not do high frequency data comms well... subject to noise/weather and then slows down.

Cable is coax, not fiber.

Fiber to the home is ideal... no voice grade twisted pair link to slow down the comms.

OE

Last edited:
My ONT is what I've replaced with a Dm200 currently, it take a normal line in from the copper outside, with a green cabinet which I assume has fiber going to it down the road?

I'm looking to replace the Dm200 with one of the above so far I'm leaning to the ZyXEL from what everyone is saying and yes I know how to have access to the user interface while the modem is in modem only mode

My ONT is what I've replaced with a Dm200 currently, it take a normal line in from the copper outside, with a green cabinet which I assume has fiber going to it down the road?

I'm looking to replace the Dm200 with one of the above so far I'm leaning to the ZyXEL from what everyone is saying and yes I know how to have access to the user interface while the modem is in modem only mode

The DM200 install guide suggests you may have fiber to a neighborhood hub and voice-grade twisted-pair (about 18,000 feet max) to your house. If you are troubleshooting poor/variable/unreliable/slow xDSL service, the issue could be related to the copper link. If you only receive Internet service (no analog voice), consider disconnecting any house telephone wiring from the service link... the less voice-grade twisted-pair wiring involved, the better. If the trouble persists, only the ISP can fix it (the lousy copper), but not likely... sometimes the issue is simply 'too fast and/or too far' for voice-grade twisted-pair draped around the neighborhood with poor interconnects, analog voice crosstalk interference, and subject to wind/rain/weather degradation.

OE

Last edited: