What's new

Modem chipset question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There is this game I play that the netstats shows Std & Max Deviations and it is almost constantly hitting high deviations.

I think I am in need of both a Cable Modem & Router upgrade. Sucks that these new modems aren't Full Duplex, yet.

My choices:
Netgear CM600
Netgear CM1000
Arris SB8200
Motorola MB8600

What is Active Queue Management (AQM) on the Motorola?

For a Router I'm thinking the Asus 86U, or the Asus GT AC5300

EDIT: Sorry, I meant the Asus GT AC5300

Last edited:
How is the Arris SB6183? Any issues with that one? It's broadcom, too, right?

Or the Zoom 5370

Last edited:
I have a SB6141 modem

The SB6141 is a good DOCSIS 3.0 modem - I replaced my 6141 only because of an minor electrical issue (big bolt of lightning fried it) and replaced with an SB6183 - performance with my ISP and the account profile (I'm 150 down/10 up) was exactly the same.

The OP compares the two modems. I think that was part of the point.

On another note I posted a few things earlier in the thread. I play a game that has a Deviation indicator and I randomly see HUGE ping deviations. My SB6141 has a Puma 5 chip and I posted a link that says the issue the 6 has also stems from the 5 through the 7. I'm just stating these things, I have no scientific proof but there seems to be a connection. I don't have it as bad as the Puma 6 chips do as shown on the SB6190

EDIT: either way the SB6141 has a Puma chip in it and I'm considering getting away from it and going to a Broadcom chip. Router is old too, it's a N66U. Gaming improves when both WiFi antennas are turned off, also, so it might be time to step things up a little.

SB6183 is Broadcom based... the SB6141, which is Puma, is not intel based, it's pre-Intel, and based on ARM...

I have no problems recommending the 6141 if the 6183 isn't available.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Puma 5 is a Texas Instruments chip, IIRC. I'm in-game RIGHT how as I type this on my gaming PC playing the game that shows Std & Max Deviations and It's having issues pretty bad.

Please Read this!

your point being?

TCP is fine in that graph w/Puma 5 - you can see that Puma 6 is a bit challenged.

Please if you must, elaborate on your methods - feel free to push a github link with your test scripts...

going back thru this thread - I see what's going on here... there's innuendo and "links" to questionable sources - I know there's talk of, and actual suits filed, so maybe this is just getting SNB forums involved somehow.

I'm done with it...

@thiggins - up to you, man... I'm suggesting to either lock or nuke the thread.

Is Puma5 the TI TNETC4830 chipset?

I used to use that in an SB6121 for like 6 years. It was pretty solid.

Broadcom makes solid chipsets tho.

The 6121, 6141, 6183 have a good reputation - the 6190 has been problematic, and that's the PUMA chip that is x86 based. There's a huge amount of discussion on the 6190 over at the dslreports.com forums on that particular modem (and variants as well for residential gateway all-in-ones)

There's been some work to re-mediate the problem, to differing degrees of success depending on the Cable operator (there's some interop issues at hand as well with different head-end units).

There's been some work to re-mediate the problem

Off Topic:

bleh don't get me started on intel wireless chipsets.
"upgrading" to an iPhone7 has been a nightmare. The intel chipset is significantly weaker compared to their qualcomm rivals in fringe service areas.

It seem's intel doesn't have the skill necessary to compete in this area.

I too whole heartedly support broadcomm only recommendations.

This does not apply to all their products, but they did release some MAJOR duds.

Is Puma5 the TI TNETC4830 chipset?

Broadcom makes solid chipsets tho.

Yes, and it also has issues like the 6, & 7

http://www.badmodems.com/Issue3.htm

It's also in the 6141. I used those two modems the past 6-7yrs and always knew something just felt off. When I switched from dial-up it honestly felt worse when gaming.

Yes, and it also has issues like the 6, & 7

http://www.badmodems.com/Issue3.htm

It's also in the 6141. I used those two modems the past 6-7yrs and always knew something just felt off. When I switched from dial-up it honestly felt worse when gaming.

I still have remote access to networks running an sb6141 and sb6183
Can you recommend some tests to perform.

I just tried pingplotter 100hz tcp dns requests and could not repeat the linked results.

--

I will feel like an idiot since I recommended the Motorola modems to many people. I even read about intels issues with the puma chipset but did not imagine that it was hiding under the Texas Instruments branding !!!

A $50, a modem upgrade isn't too bad vs the ISP $7/month lease fee.

EDIT: After some more research, the Puma5 chipset does not have a latency issue.
It is VERY vulnerable to ddos attacks (you can take it down with 1device and 1mbps of traffic).

Last edited:
It's only been my personal experience when switching to a new cable modem (from the Puma 5 to a Broadcom chip) that games ran better, networking wise. I never ran a test or anything, I just did a ton of research after reading a post someone made in the GT 5300 thread about the Puma chip. What I could do though is change back to my old modem, run the game that offers a live netstat overlay that shows Ping, Standard Deviation, & Max Deviation. My normal ping to a server I play on is generally around 50-60. In an online match with a full server (10 player) you can watch the netstat overlay randomly produce wild ping spikes indicated by the Std, & Max ping deviations.