What's new

Modem Help, Unsure which to get.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JOE.G

Regular Contributor
Hi, I have Arris TM1602 which was supplied by my Internet company. I have heard this one has issues, What kind of issues would I notice? Should I buy my own?
I have ASUS RC AC5300 Routers ( I have two in my home ).
I pretty much use everything WiFi, Very few hardwired items.

I was thinking about one of these,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCHLFD6/?tag=snbforums-20

Which model? I do have Internet phone so I believe I need one that does that, I also have Spectrum as cable and I have a 500 MBPS Plan.

Thanks

Docsis 3.1. Broadcom Chipset. Motorola MB8600. Effectively identical to the SB8200 and CM1000, but not on the exploits list above (for now...), plus has a physical power button for power-cycling without having to yank the cord.

So is the Motorola MB8600 better choice then the Netgears above in link? I don't know much about this stuff. I have a lot of Wireless gear, Kids game and stream. I need Phone Service and I don't believe the MB provides that.

The Netgear you linked to is a data+voice modem. The MB8600 is a data-only modem. My apologies for not qualifying that. I would presume then, you get your phone service through Spectrum? If so, you would need a data + voice capable modem, like the Netgear CM1150V you linked to.

The problem with that is most cable ISPs (I believe Spectrum is one of them) require the customer to use their device if voice/phone is being provided. I could be wrong there, but I'm pretty sure that's the case (at least I think it is in my market). This means the very most you could implement on your own would be a data-only modem for internet (like the MB8600) for internet, while using their unit for voice service (phone only). You'd have to install a 2-way splitter off the main cable ingress in order to do so.

TL;DR - If by "internet phone" you actually meant true voice-over-internet phone (VoIP) from a provider like Ooma or Vonage, then no, you wouldn't need a voice capable modem, and could get away with a data-only model ( the MB8600) as your one and only modem.

Last edited:
Hi, Sorry I try to be clear when I post but I am not very up on this stuff. I use Spectrum and they supply the phone though the Modem, I called them and they said if I don't get a Voice and Data Modem I can keep theirs and use it for the phone., I have Cable Jacks though out the house so i could move the phone and the ISP Modem to a different location and put new Modem where my current one is. Is the Net Gear a better Modem then the Motorola? I am looking to get the best one I can, My current has the Puma 6 Chip which I hear is not recommended. Thank you

Based on track record alone, I would give the nod to Arris or Motorola over Netgear for pure cable modem functionality. Whether that means they're still better this current generation, I'm not sure, as I haven't used all three to compare.

Since you can keep the Spectrum modem just for phone, that's probably the route I'd go, then use you're own for the internet piece. Considering the SB8200 and CM1000 have that unpatched security vulnerability mentioned earlier in the thread, you might want to lean towards the MB8600 for now.

Is there a better choice then the MB8600 from arris? Are there others in this price range? Sorry for all the questions, i only want to buy once.
Are these just plug and play?

Is there a better choice then the MB8600 from arris? Are there others in this price range? Sorry for all the questions, i only want to buy once.
Are these just plug and play?

I believe your hands are tied because you have voice service. See this link & type in your zip code for spectrums approved modems

https://www.spectrum.net/support/voice/voice-modems/

If you can live WITHOUT the voice i would recomend the MB8600. I just got it & im getting consistent 450-475mbps on a 400 plan. Not to mention the benefits of AQM thats required on docsis3.1 modems. It comes with a 2 year warranty and was cheaper then the CM1000.

The first step is to ask your ISP which modems are supported on their network. Cable modems are often ISP-specific, unlike DSL modems which tend to be more generic.

What are the difference between the MB8600 and the MB7621? I spoke to my ISP and I can keep current Modem for phone use.

MB8600 - Docsis 3.1, 32x8 channel, up to 3.8Gb/s down, 1Gb/s up (theoretical)
MB7621 - Docsis 3.0, 24x8 channel, up to 1Gb/s down, 246Mb/s up (theoretical)

Basically, the 8600 will be more future-friendly, and on a Docsis 3.1 line will offer better built-in QoS, giving you smoother traffic flow beyond just the router itself. If given the choice and you don't mind the extra cost ($160 vs $78), I'd go for the 8600.

My current Modem has the Puma 6 chip which from what I am reading is giving me poor performance. I do notice freezing an disconnects at times on my system. I have a 400 MBPS plan and I do get speeds of around 480 on WiFi.At times it will drop to 80 ish MBPS and then I have to reboot modem and router.

Ping on the speedtest app is around 22MS I found a PUma6 test link and I had 3 or 4 in th ered which the site said was bad. I dont know much about this stuff.

I a, okay spending the money to future proof, I dont want to waste money either, I wish my ISP provided a decent modem.

I wish my ISP provided a decent modem.
Don't we all! If you anticipate sticking with cable for at least the next couple years and you can swing the extra cash, I'd do the 8600, for Docsis 3.1 readiness if nothing else.

I stopped at my local Spectrum office and the only Modem they had there still is the same one I have.
I am thinking of adding the MB8600 shortly, When I get it is there any settings I need to tweak in it? Or is it plug and play for the most part? Thanks

Nope, no special setting to tweak. All you need to do is give Spectrum tech support a call and give them the MAC ID of the modem so they can activate it. They'll do that and typically send a remote reboot and once the modem powers back up after activation, you should be good to go.

So I got the MB8600 Spectrum says everything is good on their end, I have no internet though the Router or direct to the modem, All the lights are lit up correctly, Motorola was no help either and said its a spectrum issue and they see it often. The computer does say it has internet but but does not connect to anything.

Spectrum said it may take 24 HRS to activate but I am not sure if they were just telling me that to get me off the phone after 4 HRS.

Any ideas? Thanks

Okay so The Modem started working, After 20 HRS, After it started working I reset all my Routers ( I have a few though out the property and also did a Hard reset on Modem. As of right now everything seems okay.