What's new

Modem not rebooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitmonster

Asus RT-ac86u / Merlin (last stable build, .13?)

So I sort of solved my intermittent WAN drop-out issues with the reboot scheduler (although I still don't understand why it doesn't just reconnect), but now sometimes the modem doesn't boot up. I get up in the morning and all lights are off so I have to press the power button and it comes up fine.

Any ideas?

I'm hoping the new Merlin FW when it passes Beta may resolve some niggling issues, but thanks for the hard work!! It's so worth all the effort.

Sounds strange, but many people on the other side of the big puddle call routers a "modem".
Many places around the world use "router" and "modem" interchangeably either for generic, legacy, or simple lack of understanding reasons :)

last stable build, .13?)
Don't take offence, but this is a perfect example of why "lastest build" is a completely inappropriate thing to say (using this to try and convince others to stop saying it, not trying to pick on you)

As of at least a few days before your posting date, 384.14 was the "last stable build" :)

Posting the actual build number is critical in many cases as it could be a fixed bug was the cause (not in this case however) but also allows people reading this 2 months, 6 months or whatever from now to tie an issue back to a SPECIFIC version rather than trying to figure out what was current on such-and-such a date.

Just my personal pet peeve. Most people think they are helping by posting that, but it is not very helpful in reality.

Last edited:
Don't take offence, but this is a perfect example of why "lastest build" is a completely inappropriate thing to say (using this to try and convince others to stop saying it, not trying to pick on you)

As of at least a few days before your posting date, 384.14 was the "last stable build" :)

Posting the actual build number is critical in many cases as it could be a fixed bug was the cause (not in this case however) but also allows people reading this 2 months, 6 months or whatever from now to tie an issue back to a SPECIFIC version rather than trying to figure out what was current on such-and-such a date.

Just my personal pet peeve. Most people think they are helping by posting that, but it is helpful in reality.

In the past I’ve also been tempted - but resisted - to write such a phrase. In my case it would have been through sheer laziness: too lazy to open up the webui and get the firmware details, just want to get the post fired off and watch the answers flood in. But as you say, without accurate information, the responses might be meaningless, so it wasn’t difficult to find the motivation to overcome my natural laziness.

I’m not saying that everyone who writes “the latest stable firmware” is too lazy to go and find the firmware version, but it might explains some instances.

Last edited:
"lastest build" is a completely inappropriate thing to say
You're right, it's x.13 - I should have posted this. Is v14 any improvement in this regard?

This modem doesn't soft reboot properly on any firmware
Well that's kinda reassuring if it's not just me and unlikely to be a hardware fault.
Is there any issue with just plugging in a powerpoint timer and hard resetting once a day? It did it again this morning even after a hard reset the night before.

Asus RT-ac86u / Merlin (last stable build, .13?)

So I sort of solved my intermittent WAN drop-out issues with the reboot scheduler (although I still don't understand why it doesn't just reconnect), but now sometimes the modem doesn't boot up. I get up in the morning and all lights are off so I have to press the power button and it comes up fine.

Any ideas?

I'm hoping the new Merlin FW when it passes Beta may resolve some niggling issues, but thanks for the hard work!! It's so worth all the effort.
Are you scheduling the reboots via the webgui or crontab?
Conflicting reports of one working and the other causing issues ie so badly written you can't tell which causes the issue

For me I've found the GUI just forgets to do the reboots after a random period whereas crontab always worked for a 30 day daily test

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

For me I've found the GUI just forgets to do the reboots after a random period whereas crontab always worked for a 30 day daily test

No matter how you reboot the router (reboot scheduler, script, manually via WebUI), at some point it just shuts off. The problem is intermittent, you may see it on the first reboot attempt or in 2 months time. This is what makes it hard to diagnose and reproduce. I was playing once with a 2017 router doing reboots every 3-4 minutes and it turned off on attempt 25 or so. When testing 2 x 2019 routers both turned off during first 2-3 reboots when upgrading the software.