What's new

Modem router and Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark8par

New Around Here
Hi,

New to the forum so hello to everyone.

I need some help with finding a new modem router, my current service is FTTC (VDSL2) and I have a Netgear D7800 as my main router and a Netgear R7800 connected via ethernet in access point mode in another room to spread the wifi around. My Qnap Nas TS453B which supports aggregation is connected to the R7800 (does not support aggregation). My service provider has advised they can enable ipv6 service but I have found problems with my current setup, apparently Netgear has some issues with it.

Anyway, I have an opportunity to change this setup and have been looking at the Asus DSL AC88U AC3100
modem router but need a decent access point to compliment it, wireless signal is really important for the access point. I did see the RT AC3200 but I read the wifi is first gen and I'm not sure if i should just spend a little more to future proof.

We also work from home so a decent setup is a must.

Thanks in advance Mark

No need to go to "Tri-band" router. If you are considering converting router to AP, just get another AC88U.

When i checked the price on Amazon, the DSL AC88U (one with modem) it is cheaper than the RT AC88U which seems mental, can you see a reason for the price difference? its about £100

Hmm.

Amazon UK has the RRP as £209.99 vs. £364.24!, but are selling them at £199.37 vs.£269.99

Asus' own UK store are selling them at £239.99 vs £289.99

The only obvious difference that I can see is that the RT- has 8 LAN ports whereas the DSL- has only 4 (+ a modem of course).

Hmm.

Amazon UK has the RRP as £209.99 vs. £364.24!, but are selling them at £199.37 vs.£269.99

Asus' own UK store are selling them at £239.99 vs £289.99

The only obvious difference that I can see is that the RT- has 8 LAN ports whereas the DSL- has only 4 (+ a modem of course).
From what i can see the DSL AC88U does not natively support ap as well. One thing that does concern me is that i can't find an Acer community forum incase of any issues and support is not available.

Are Acer any better that Netgear and would would recommend any better brands??

Additional: If the internet is to be believed :rolleyes: the CPU is different in each model. The DSL- has a BCM63138 (1.0GHz x 2) and the RT- has a BCM4709C0 (1.4GHz x 2)

One thing that does concern me is that i can't find an Acer community forum incase of any issues and support is not available.
Sorry, I don't understand the reference to Acer. Do you mean Asus? There are the Asus forums here, although not many people have the DSL- versions.

Are Acer any better that Netgear and would would recommend any better brands??
It's probably best to read the reviews on the main SNB site and decide for yourself.

What is the reason you're changing the setup? Is is because of the wireless? Is it because the lack of link aggregation to the qnap? The answers to these questions will help as I think you only need to change/add a piece vs redo everything.

Yes partly that and also my service provider has enabled IPv6 and the setup I have has problems with IPv6 settings. I won't go into too much detail but when I enable it and run a test it comes back with some errors regarding firewall and apparently this can not be changed and netgear do not know if it ever will. It can only be changed by a firmware update.

My isp has activated it so I decided to set it up on my router. If I change the router now i will only pay the difference in price for the router, so it just seemed a good time to do it. I'm just hoping the asus is actually better