What's new

Modem – Router that will replace ISP ADSL Sky's SR203 Router/Modem.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jambleye

New Around Here
Could you help please?
I am looking to purchase a Modem – Router that will replace ISP ADSL Sky's SR203 Router/Modem.
Looking for a Modem – Router box that will replace the Sky SR203 as long as it works! And is secure!
Was “told to buy by retail sellers” and I bought a RT-AX82U but after trying days I gave up and returned it.
As the Manafactures don't list all SPECIFICATIONS of the Modem's – Router's available so need your help to not to buy the wrong one again!

I have been told I need to select 'Sky(MER)_VDSL from the list Etc., DHCP Option 61.

What I must have is Hardwire and WiFi. Hope for its latest WiFi 6 ?
Need to plug 2 Synology NAS in and also more, like Video over network and website as well.
Plex on the NAS etc. looking at Port Triggering & Port Forwarding must be able to make it as safe as possible

At this time I'm on FTTC land line coming into the house, female socket RJ11 on wall would need a 3 way Splitter Box that is all female then fits the BT landline cable – and then goes onto the Router needs to have DSL leads into Router.

I See there is a Wi-Fi Router Finder https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/finders/wifi-router/products/ as I don't know what I need.
I cannot select it exactly as it does not show what i'm able to select in the router? If you can help me by giving me the right requirements to enter that would be great if you can please.
If it can install ASUSWRT-MERLIN great.
If the phone is the Stop to this I could Go without it? And use mobile only.
In about 18 months time I could swap from FTTC to FTTP

I am looking for someone who HAS replaced a ISP ADSL Sky's SR203 Router/Modem, or KNOWS what needs to be done

Attachments

• dsl-modem-router-set-up.jpg
    dsl-modem-router-set-up.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I have Sky and am running an RT-AX88U with a Draytek Vigor 130 - (previously used this modem with RT-AC87U) both work fine, there are guides available on both Sky's website and Draytek's. The Sky router (and its predecessor) just sit in their boxes.

Hello Archiel thanks for the feedback & help, all new to this please bear with me! have you got the phone plugged into a splitter box or Vigor 130
I can RJ45 my Synology NAS in which box to make it work? Could not do that with the last one I tried, will their be a problem with it at all?
I see you list the RT-AX88U - RMerlin 386.8_beta1 + if I buy a Vigor 130 (is that the only one) tried to find a Vigor 130
Box.co.uk has DrayTekVigor 167 VDSL Modem V167-K
DrayTekVigor 166 G.fast & VDSL2 Modem V166-K are they the same and can be used?
should I go for Asus RT-AX88U can I buy it already flashed.
Is it easy to do the updates?
Which one would you go for in my place? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I have the dsl ax82u, and notice problems with sky bb on my device. Best bet is to use the isp device and get a router to run off that.

The problem with Sky (UK) is often that the Sky Mini-boxes break just about any network managed by a router other than a Sky router.

Yes but now on the sky tv boxs you can disable hotspot, that helped.
The main sky q box talks to the sky mini boxs by 5ghz. Yet the main box only connects via 2.5ghz to the 3rd party router

Hello Archiel thanks for the feedback & help, all new to this please bear with me! have you got the phone plugged into a splitter box or Vigor 130
I can RJ45 my Synology NAS in which box to make it work? Could not do that with the last one I tried, will their be a problem with it at all?
I see you list the RT-AX88U - RMerlin 386.8_beta1 + if I buy a Vigor 130 (is that the only one) tried to find a Vigor 130
Box.co.uk has DrayTekVigor 167 VDSL Modem V167-K
DrayTekVigor 166 G.fast & VDSL2 Modem V166-K are they the same and can be used?
should I go for Asus RT-AX88U can I buy it already flashed.
Is it easy to do the updates? Or should I go for Asus RT-AX88U can I buy it already flashed.
Which one would you go for in my place? Thanks for your time.
In respect of modems, this will depend on what speeds Sky is offering you over VDSL2. Where I am, the best on offer is 80/20 so the 130 is fine. If you have faster VDSL2 (using supervectoring profile 35b) which supports up to 250Mb/s (downstream) then the 167 is probably better.

In regard routers, I am very happy with the RT-AX88U. I have typically around 20-30 devices connected, Plex and Emby media servers, remote access via WireGuard VPN server and RDP plus some light gaming use. In respect of what router would suit you this will depend on how much and what sort of traffic you will be running and over what range (size of home, number of floors, type of walls, etc). If you set out what you are looking to do I am sure that someone more experienced than me will point you in the right direction.

As noted above the Sky Q (and mini Qs) are not the best thought out design in how to use WiFi. I ended up connecting them via ethernet and homeplug.

Setting up the router with Asuswrt-Merlin is pretty straightforward, again there are some good guides you can find with a quick search, but no you will not find it pre-flashed. Anyway, tweaking it to do what you want is half the fun.

In respect of modems, this will depend on what speeds Sky is offering you over VDSL2. Where I am, the best on offer is 80/20 so the 130 is fine. If you have faster VDSL2 (using supervectoring profile 35b) which supports up to 250Mb/s (downstream) then the 167 is probably better.

In regard routers, I am very happy with the RT-AX88U. I have typically around 20-30 devices connected, Plex and Emby media servers, remote access via WireGuard VPN server and RDP plus some light gaming use. In respect of what router would suit you this will depend on how much and what sort of traffic you will be running and over what range (size of home, number of floors, type of walls, etc). If you set out what you are looking to do I am sure that someone more experienced than me will point you in the right direction.

As noted above the Sky Q (and mini Qs) are not the best thought out design in how to use WiFi. I ended up connecting them via ethernet and homeplug.

Setting up the router with Asuswrt-Merlin is pretty straightforward, again there are some good guides you can find with a quick search, but no you will not find it pre-flashed. Anyway, tweaking it to do what you want is half the fun.

Thanks for the Help seems that I have to go for V167-K as the V130-K is EOL, and its a replacement update hope I got the right info!!! "this is from a seller" also he said I could use a DrayTek Vigor 2866Lac without the V167-K "anyone have you tried this"? still as I am confused will go after the Asus RT-AX88U I think with V167-K what did you do about the phone not plugging into SR203 after sending them the info seems I have just land line and not FTTC like I Thought.
I won't be using Wi-Fi for most of the setup need to hardwire NAS and as in same room and will and can plug them in. only phones and Ipad.