What's new

Modem speed vs router speed issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sergey Klyutsev

New Around Here
Hello,
I have ASUS RT-AC88U router with Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15 .
I see big difference in speed if I connect straight to my cable modem or to my router. When I connect straight to the cable modem I have about 700 Mbps. But when I connect to the router I have 250-260 Mbps only. I connect via the same CAT7 ethernet cable. Why is this? Is this limitation of the router? Are there any settings that can fix that? Should I buy another router? I hope that RT-AC88U is not that outdated but why am I not getting speed? I'm kind of frustrated.

Log into the router and go to the Tools > System Information page. Check the status of Network > HW acceleration.

OK. Check the setting at LAN - Switch Control called NAT Acceleration.
Thanks a lot!! I have switched NAT acceleration to Auto. Also enabled Jambo Frame. Now it says that HW acceleration is enabled and which is more important I have the same 700 Mbps via router too!! Hurray! Thank you very much!

That's good to hear. I would suggest that you leave Jumbo Frames off. Unless all your LAN devices are using Jumbo frames there's no benefit and it might actually cause unnecessary packet fragmentation.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!