What's new

Modem's IP Mode: IPv6 Only -help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Davidncali001

Regular Contributor
I have Xfinity Cable Internet and noticed in the modems config status that is says, Modem's IP Mode IPv6 Only.

I have had IPV6 disabled on my Asus AC1900 with Merlin Firmware for the past few years and had no problems.

I was at a lower tier of 60 down on my internet plan but just today upgraded to 250 down. The thing is my internet speed stays at 60 down. I have reset the modem and the router and for 1 speed run after I do either of those things I get the correct new 250 down speed, but only during the first initial speed test. Second speed test everything reverts to 60 down.

I have all the Division, Stubby, and Skynet scripts running as well. I set those up with the IPV4 only setup. I don't know if that matters!?!?

Could you please tell me if I am doing something wrong or if by disabling IPV6 I am missing out on something. I intentionally disabled it because I thought its more secure without it.

attached is a screen shot of my Modem Config Page.

Thanks ,

David

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 371
I have Xfinity Cable Internet and noticed in the modems config status that is says, Modem's IP Mode IPv6 Only. I have had IPV6 disabled on my Asus AC1900 with Merlin Firmware for the past few years and had no problems.
I believe it is telling you that the modem is communicating to the ISP using IPv6. This should not impact you at all.
I was at a lower tier of 60 down on my internet plan but just today upgraded to 250 down. The thing is my internet speed stays at 60 down. I have reset the modem and the router and for 1 speed run after I do either of those things I get the correct new 250 down speed, but only during the first initial speed test. Second speed test everything reverts to 60 down.
While I cannot speak to your specific ISP, speed changes ordered by you may not be instantaneous. It may require rolling over to the next day, midnight maintenance kind of thing, or even a dispatch. Your modem may or may not tell you the current speed. Contact your ISP if you must.
I have all the Division, Stubby, and Skynet scripts running as well. I set those up with the IPV4 only setup. I don't know if that matters!?!?
Should not because everything still works, right? Just not at the higher speed as yet.
Could you please tell me if I am doing something wrong or if by disabling IPV6 I am missing out on something. I intentionally disabled it because I thought its more secure without it.
IPv6 should not be a security risk onto itself. I have IPv6 enabled as all my Apple devices support it. If you don't have IPv6 enabled you're not missing anything right now. Most of the IPv6 rollout focus is currently on the internet backbones. IPv6 at the consumer level is available but not everywhere. As available IPv4 block address space becomes smaller and smaller, servers will have to incorporate IPv6 to meet client growth.

Remember analog telephones? What consumers weren't aware of is that the phone companies were digitizing their analog voice as they moved to digital voice technology. First it was for long distance calls and then local calls. Now your analog voice is digitized right on the street. Cable companies that allow you to connect your analog phone to their equipment are digitizing right in your own home. Digital phones digitize voice right in the handset.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

I still couldn't get the correct new internet speeds, so out of frustration I ended up resetting the router and reformatting the USB and started all over. Once I did all that for some reason my correct new internet speed came up.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

I still couldn't get the correct new internet speeds, so out of frustration I ended up resetting the router and reformatting the USB and started all over. Once I did all that for some reason my correct new internet speed came up.

In my experience, a reset to factory defaults is the fastest way to a stable router. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!