What's new

Moderate Nat in Call of Duty? AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Hi all,

I recently set up a Asus AC87U with 376.47 Merlin firmware for a friend, both his Xbox One and PS4 needed ports forwarding to get an open nat, yesterday they received call of duty advanced warfighter on PS4 and they have a Moderate Nat in game even though the console is type 2 which is open.

I have forwarded all the ports suggested by the game but it is still Moderate, I know that I can put the console in the DMZ but would rather sort it out a different way, any suggestions on why it isn't working correctly?

Turn off port forwarding,

Don't use dmz

Do not set an IP for either console, allow DHCP to do it.

Turn on UPNP on router and both consoles.

Reset everything to automatic on both consoles.

Shut down consoles.

Turn off router and modem for 5 min

Turn on Modem, Turn on Router, Then Both Consoles with 1 min between each.

Check NAT.

Ok,

So I put on the Merlin Beta 2 firmware and reset the router to factory defaults and re-entered the settings, UPNP is on and I have not manually forwarded any ports.

The Xbox One is now Moderate Nat
The PS4 is Nat type 2 but Advanced Warfare is still Moderate

Is this something that will work out of the box with the default firmware or is it the same?

Turn off port forwarding,

Don't use dmz

Do not set an IP for either console, allow DHCP to do it.

Turn on UPNP on router and both consoles.

Reset everything to automatic on both consoles.

Shut down consoles.

Turn off router and modem for 5 min

Turn on Modem, Turn on Router, Then Both Consoles with 1 min between each.

Check NAT.

Hello
I know that enabling UPNP allows EA natting to be open but what about the many security issues of UPNP?
Isnt' there any other way (port forwarding / port triggering.. any) to have open NAT without UPNP?

Thanks

Ok,

So I put on the Merlin Beta 2 firmware and reset the router to factory defaults and re-entered the settings, UPNP is on and I have not manually forwarded any ports.

The Xbox One is now Moderate Nat
The PS4 is Nat type 2 but Advanced Warfare is still Moderate

Is this something that will work out of the box with the default firmware or is it the same?

Try turning off Hardware Acceleration in the RT-AC87U. Make sure all of the NAT Pass-Through options are enabled in the RT-AC87U. Also, run an Internet Speed Test in the PS4 prior to starting Advanced Warfare.

On the Xbox One, make sure that the Power Save option is ON. It has been reported that when the Xbox One is in Instant-On power mode, UPnP does not register properly with your router, and Energy Saver mode allows UPnP to register properly.

Yes you can probably achieve the same result with port forwarding, or putting your console in dmz.

http://portforward.com/ may help

I like the simplicity of using dhcp and upnp; it works. Assuming you keep your computers malware free and updated the security aspect of using upnp should be negligible (Although others will disagree)

So after trying all the suggestions I was able to get an open NAT on the Xbox One and the PS4, however Advanced Warfighter would always stay Moderate. I went to the latest official firmware and the NAT was Open by default.

No settings change required just worked.

Still having weird issues with this, the router is currently on the default firmware but today the PS4 on first boot said the game NAT was moderate and then changed to strict with no changes made to the router.

Also my iPhone 5s iPad mini and iPad 3 all lose connectivity to 5ghz randomly and the only way to get them back for a time is to turn off wifi and turn in back on again.

Can't get a win with this router, possibly not to blame for the Apple faults but still, Airplay is a pain to get working also.

Have you reported the problem to Asus yet?

How are you all testing for this in codaw on ps4
I have the same and would like to test to se what I get
Do you see problems while playng online. Thanks

How are you all testing for this in codaw on ps4
I have the same and would like to test to se what I get
Do you see problems while playng online. Thanks

When you press play online on Advanced Warfare, on the next screen that loads in the bottom left it will give you your NAT status.

I put The latest Merlin firmware on the router, my NAT went to open in Advanced Warafre, my PS4 is NAT type 2 and my Xbox One went to Open.

I also turned off NAT Acceleration as I have a WD MyCloud and it would not forward the ports to connect externally, think this has something to do with the NAT lop back bug I my internet is 80/20 so fine for the router without acceleration.

I don't remember ever getting over 2 in the PS3 or ps4 network test
I will try Dmz latter and see if I can get open or anything but 2
This is with multiple routers, all have been 2 , this is just amazing to me
I will try all what was posted here to get it open
I have also tried to port forward all kinds of ports and nothing has ever changed that in the past, but I am game to try again
Thanks

Edit
I have never noticed that nat status
As soon as I get home I am going to see
Does this affect online playing at all??

Last edited:
just took a look
ps4 network status says type 2
call of duty AW says open and I have a 87R, no ports forward at all
router has been running merlin .48.1 for 10 days now with no reboots
Also my 5GHz band with my air 2 is still running, I think I am perfect (fingers crossed)

you may need to try recovery mode with the latest asus firmware, then try merlins, seems working for me

You shouldn't need any manual port forward with modern consoles. This is what UPnP handles automatically for you, especially if you have multiple consoles at the same time.

I use a much more up-to-date version of miniupnpd than Asus, that might explain some of the differences.

I'm not understanding the problems with this.

Latest merlin f/w

I have an Xbox 360, a PS3 and a Xbone and get open NAT on all 3 of them on bops2,ghosts,mw3,mw2 (Not tried AW yet) using the method I posted earlier.

I think, perhaps, you are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Use Upnp, No port forwarding, allow dhcp to assign the ips for the consoles (not the pc's though) so have a few ips free. HW accel on. Put all the consoles on full auto. Switch off everything for 10 min, then back on again. Should all be open nat all round.

Good luck.

My xbox is back to Strict NAT again now, nothing has changed and I have just restarted the console but still Strict. I am letting UPNP do the port forwarding as suggested but it seems to do what it wants.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 617
I can't tell exactly from the thread exactly what code you have loaded....but you need to be on at least 376.48 beta 3 (better the official 378.48_1) to pick up the miniupnpd level that had some improvements in the port allocations for xbox.

Code:
I can't tell exactly from the thread exactly what code you have loaded....but you need to be on at least 376.48 beta 3 (better the official 378.48_1) to pick up the miniupnpd level that had some improvements in the port allocations for xbox.

Currently using 378.48_1

I can see 3074 forwarded in the port forwarding log so I'm not sure what the problem is.

According to the Xbox One;

Your network is behind a port-preserving port-symmetric NAT

Last edited:
After doing some more digging I may have a theory,

Looking in the log I can see 3074 is forwarded via UPNP, which is the default xbox live port, so I look at which device this is and it turns out the PS4 is currently using 3074, so looking online it seems that advanced warfare uses this port maybe on the ps4 as well.

So it might be that these devices are fighting each other and this is the reason for my current strict NAT on xbox one but Open nat on advanced warfare.