What's new

Modifying OpenVPN firewall/iptables rule?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris H

New Around Here
I've noticed that a handful of IPs seem to be repeatedly trying to connect to my (asuswrt-merlin powered) router's OpenVPN server. I'm not too worried about it since I'm using key + password authentication, but I set up a simple ipset integration in "firewall-start" to block them anyway.

Unfortunately it looks like the iptables rule that's created for openvpn purposes is taking precedence; it's number 1 in the INPUT chain, right above my blacklist match:

Code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
num  target     prot opt source               destination
1    ACCEPT     udp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            udp dpt:1194
2    DROP       all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            match-set jchblacklistnet src

Can someone recommend the best way to move this rule so that my blacklist takes precedence? Always removing rule #1 in my user script seems fragile, as does any kind of grepping the output of iptables, but that's the closest I've seen in searching other threads here.

This was discussed here. Particularly note "EDIT 3".

An alternate solution is to change OpenVPN to use a non-standard port.