What's new

Monitor Data Usage of Individual Devices - RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moarfree

New Around Here
Hi! Brand new to this forum and looking for some guidance as I'm scratching my head, apologies if this has been posted before but I wasn't able to find the info based on searching.

A few days ago, I noticed an extremely high internet bill, I recently switched from a very simple DSL plan to a slightly faster Cable option and did not expect such high data consumption (no gaming, some streaming, video calls for work). I have a 400GB monthly limit, and the first month on this provider landed at a bit over 500GB (not a full month) and the second was 1400GB!!! I'm trying to figure out what device(s) is consuming so much data. I'm using an old RT-N66U on the latest stock firmware and don't believe it allows me to see the individual device data usage. Upon researching, it appears that custom firmware like Merlin or John's will allow me to do so, is this correct?

I downloaded the latest version of John's and tried to install using the ASUS GUI by selecting the .trx file and clicking upload - it gives a quick please wait, then nothing happens. Are there steps I'm missing? I'm guessing I may need to revert to an older stock firmware first? If so, I'm guessing the ones listed on the Asus site aren't old enough?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 10.23.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 10.23.30 PM.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 276
I downloaded the latest version of John's and tried to install using the ASUS GUI by selecting the .trx file and clicking upload - it gives a quick please wait, then nothing happens. Are there steps I'm missing? I'm guessing I may need to revert to an older stock firmware first? If so, I'm guessing the ones listed on the Asus site aren't old enough?
You have to put the router in recovery mode and use the ASUS Firmware Restoration utility as explained in the installation instructions.

I use John's fork (45d5 from "development"...works great!) and I am unaware of an ability to see discrete LAN connections in the Traffic Monitor...would love it if I am wrong. The older Tomato (no longer actively updated) did and I loved it but had to abandon it due to lack of updates. The Traffic Monitor in John's forks lets you differentiate between LAN and WAN and 2.4 and 5 Gig WAN. I show "no data in the table" for the discrete device section.

@colin Taylor is correct that you must use the Firmware Restoration Utility to bypass the Asus restrictions on loading non-approved software in compliance with FCC prohibitions against using higher than allowed power on wireless. There is also a "Mini" web server that I had to resort to as I don't use Windows or own a copy and there is a magic way to access it that I do not recall.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor: Thanks, will try. Later: Neat. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!