What's new

More about Wi-Fi Agile Multiband setting?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

josephwit

Occasional Visitor
I saw this setting on my new GT-AX11000, and read the Asus FAQ https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1042471/.

I see that by default, it is disabled, when I turned it on and then added a non-AX access point (RT-AC68u) as an AiMesh node, it became disabled again. (The RT-AC68u does not have this setting.)

Does anyone know in what situations Wi-Fi Agile Multiband can be used, and would be beneficial? Specifically I am wondering if I replaced my wired access point with a newer device capable of this feature, and enabled it at both ends, would there be significant benefit?

I am currently NOT using AiMesh, because so far I can't get it to play nice with my triband Netgear EX8000 wi-fi extender. As such, I could re-enable Wi-Fi Agile Multiband on the GT-AX11000. Any advantage to doing this?

Thenks,

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this, just interested myself.

I believe it implements a number of standards based functions that assist with APs and client devices exchanging information about network topology and congestion. They also aid the steering and roaming of clients from AP to AP including improving client roam times. I guess it would be beneficial in an AiMesh environment, but less so in a single router environment - perhaps helping the transition between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz but I don't know. It seems to be similar to Smart Connect, but 802.11 standards based and involving client-side intelligence also. There is more here https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-agile-multiband

Coincidentally I turned it on for my network earlier today (it required Protected Management Frames to be set as a minimum of 'capable') and so far I am seeing no ill effects. It's early days however.

I'm just learning about it after getting my new GT-AX11000 router. There are quite a few articles about it, but I can't find any nuts and bolts articles like: do all devices have to be capable? what are the incompatibilities? etc. I just turmed it on also. We'll see...

do all devices have to be capable? what are the incompatibilities?
My assumption is that being 802.11 standards based it will be backwards compatible with clients that don't support it. Time will tell.

according to this it seems to be more client decision based after getting additional info from the AP. A wild guess but I don't think it will do anything unless a client supports it.

https://www.accton.com/Technology-Brief/wifi-agile-multiband/

Interesting to know would also be how this interacts with the roaming assistant.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!