What's new

Most current security wise?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eastavin

Hello. Would appreciate some advice from the experienced.

1) As things sit today how do I rank the various firmware options in terms of most current as far as security and threat mitigation goes? (Assume I use all the security features made available in the firmware.) Seems we have Asus stock RT_AC68U_38410007, Merlin 382.2 Beta3, Merlin 380.69, Fork 374.4x LTS and the Merlin 384 pre-release.

2) Which is most likely to stay most up-to-date security wise going forward for the next six months to a year?

If the question I am asking isn't quite right.. appreciate your rephrasing it for me. I am having trouble deciding whether I should be staying with Merlin or the latest Asus creation while the current issues get worked out. Many thanks

Edward

Last edited:
In my case, the 384 branch will always be updated first, while the legacy 380 branch will be less frequently updated (and at some point this year will be entirely abandoned, that time will vary between models).

John's fork is usually equally as quickly updated as me when it comes to flaws in the open-sourced code (which tend to be faster than Asus's stock). For the proprietary code, it will depend on who finds and fixes it first between Asus or me.

So, I can't say that one specific firmware will always be more up-to-date than the other - always a matter of who finds and fixes things first. I'm always more up-to-date than Asus for anything related to OpenSSL for instance, but Asus will always be more up-to-date than us for wireless-specific code.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!