What's new

Most Homes Need 50MB Service or Less!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CrystalLattice

Regular Contributor
Most Homes Need Only 50MB Service or Less! Use this calculator: https://broadbandnow.com/bandwidth-calculator .

If you take a close look at your network, you are overbuying bandwidth. Your ISP loves you for being a complete fool. If you have a 4k tv, you can't tell the difference at 8 ft from 1080p or even 720p.

Bottom line: you have probably overbought network equipment based on cultural status, egomania, fanboyism, keeping up wit the smiths, or not knowing what to do with your excess disposable income. Straighten up!

I can kind of see this if you don't mind latency at times. It also depends on how big is your household.

The exception is of course the cord cutters and 4K TVs. You get 3 or 4 4K TVs and you are over your limit.

PS
The hardware guys don't want to here this. If only we did not have to buy new hardware to get software updates.

It's not the Smiths I'm trying to keep up with its the Joneses. For that I need a lot more bandwidth else I'll be jonesing.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My results said 156 Mbps and the inputs didn't even allow me to enter all the devices I have connected. Not even an input for running a media server.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Used to be that I had 40GBe top of rack in my data center. As some might know, I'm ex-Telco in a jobby-job context...

One finds that the internet is kinda slow at some point.

My current 150/10 is good enough for home use over cable modem..

I just looked at 8K TV. It is a 100 meg stream. All bets are off. I think it will take awhile before the internet can support everyone running 100 meg streams.

I just looked at 8K TV. It is a 100 meg stream. All bets are off. I think it will take awhile before the internet can support everyone running 100 meg streams.
Yeah I was hoping to get the 'next big thing' tech in 2021 for my next TV.
But 4K content has still not even gotten to a 25% issuance rate yet so I doubt anything would be available in 8K in 2 years for us to watch.
My 60" - 1080p Plasma is still good enough @ 13 ft away esp. with my 20/200 eyes LOL.

Most Homes Need Only 50MB Service or Less! Use this calculator: https://broadbandnow.com/bandwidth-calculator .

If you take a close look at your network, you are overbuying bandwidth. Your ISP loves you for being a complete fool. If you have a 4k tv, you can't tell the difference at 8 ft from 1080p or even 720p.

Bottom line: you have probably overbought network equipment based on cultural status, egomania, fanboyism, keeping up wit the smiths, or not knowing what to do with your excess disposable income. Straighten up!

Good stuff - concurrent stream is the bandwidth killer - IMO. So reality is that concurrent streaming happens at gramp's house once or twice a year.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!