What's new

most of Qos questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bobyang

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have most of questions about Qos:
1. How to do L7 filter? eg, I like to make youtbue video as "HIGH" and skype as "HIGH", but block BT, emule, and they use random ports
2. Does Qos run in the list order. For example, first rule: port 9999 as high, second rule: any port > 1024 as low. The port 9998 is lowest, but what's about port 9999? (I ask because the order is important in TomatoUSB)
3. How to set up Qos rule with source ports instead of dst ports. eg, google voice use client port as tcp 19294
4. in nvram, I see 10 classification like tomato, how can I turn all 10 on instead of 5 currently.

other questions:
1. how to disable default router name, currently, it is named as "router.asus.com". I don't want any users to see what router I am using.

thanks!

just answer few of my own questions
1. yes based on manual, but I cannot find it now I don't know where it is.
5. the hosts name are list in /etc/hosts, just need to comment what you don't want out

L7Filters must be manually configured. I never worked with them myself, so I wouldn't know the details. It will require manually manipulating the iptables chains to use them.

/etc/hosts is dynamically created by the router, so you can't just modify it - it will be overwritten by the firmware, and won't survive reboots either. You will have to use a custom hosts file (see the documentation on how to do that).

Note that changing that hostname won't hide your router brand anyway. Anyone on your LAN could look up its MAC address on the OUI database to determine that it's an Asus router.

L7Filters must be manually configured. I never worked with them myself, so I wouldn't know the details. It will require manually manipulating the iptables chains to use them.

Note that changing that hostname won't hide your router brand anyway. Anyone on your LAN could look up its MAC address on the OUI database to determine that it's an Asus router.

thank you! forget about OUI. I guess I just hide it for now for the model then :) thanks for the ref about /jffs/configs/hosts!