What's new

Motorola SBG6580 Port forwarding but not really

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TSOShadow

New Around Here
Router Motorola SBG6580
Local Static IP 192.168.***.***
Gate 192.168.0.1 (The motorola address)
DNS 216.104.***.***
216.104.***.***
External 24.138.***.***
ports 27005-27015 Both UDP & TCP

All the above information is in place and enabled for forwarding according to the router.
But using sites like "canyouseeme.org" is telling me "Error: I could not see your service on 24.138.***.*** on port (27005)
Reason: Connection timed out"

What is wrong here?

Router Motorola SBG6580
Local Static IP 192.168.***.***
Gate 192.168.0.1 (The motorola address)
DNS 216.104.***.***
216.104.***.***
External 24.138.***.***
ports 27005-27015 Both UDP & TCP

All the above information is in place and enabled for forwarding according to the router.
But using sites like "canyouseeme.org" is telling me "Error: I could not see your service on 24.138.***.*** on port (27005)

What is wrong here?

you don't say where the ports are forwarded "to".
Concept is:
forward Internet side port #x to LAN side LAN IP 192.168.0.123 port #x.
where .123 is the server's LAN IP address that is static, not DHCP.
This is where the external port # and the internal port # are the same, i.e., not remapped. Which is commonly done.

Some routers enable you to forward a range of ports to a the same range on one server. Some have more flexibility.

Motorola hasn't had a presence in consumer routers in many, many years.

From what your telling me I think you've just explained how I told the router to port forward already...

Local
IP Address Start Port End Port
192.168.***.***27005-27015
External
24.138.***.*** 27005-27015
Prot: BOTH (UDP&TCP) Description: GmodPorts1 Enabled: Yes

Is this not forwarding the external ports 27005 to 27015 to my local computers same ports?

or do you mean that my external and local IP should be matching in last numbers? Which I don't think I've ever had in a network if I recall correctly.

From what your telling me I think you've just explained how I told the router to port forward already...

Local
External

Is this not forwarding the external ports 27005 to 27015 to my local computers same ports?

or do you mean that my external and local IP should be matching in last numbers? Which I don't think I've ever had in a network if I recall correctly.
sorry if I misread.

What might be wrong is that your external address should not have a range; it should be 24.138.nnn.mmm where nnn and mmm are the numbers for the sole external IP address your ISP provides. Let's say it's 24.138.123.456. You would have to pay $$$ to get a range of public IP addresses.

Is your netmask 255.255.255.0 ? This is usual.
Your router would have the mask set by you.
And the router itself would have an address you chose, say, 192.168.0.1
Your router's DHCP range would have been set by you (or you took the default) of 192.168.0.a to 192.168.0.b where a and b are your DHCP range. Often that's 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 or some such.

Outside the DHCP range, that computer you will have as the server visible on the Internet needs to have a static or reserved address, say, 192.168.0.10. That server gets that address by you configuring that operating system to use a static IP and gateway (which would be 192.168.0.1 in this example). Or you can leave the server on DHCP mode (automatic). Then on the router, use the admin screen for DHCP Reservation to map an LAN address such as 192.168.0.10 to the MAC address of the server. The MAC address should be displayed by the router. Some routers don't have DHCP reservation support so you have to config. the server as static.

This done, your router's port forwarding would forward a port or port range to the server: 192.168.0.10 in this example. Additional port forwarding rules are needed if you have 2+ servers, say, an IP camera (which is a kind of server).

The default LAN addresses in consumer routers is usually either 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.*

Last edited:

Local
External

Try 0.0.0.0 as your external address.

I have set a static IP for the computer/server I'm using and set it as the local IP.

Maybe the confusion is this? "***.***"
It's just hiding my IP partially to remain anon on those parts I thought irrelevant to my question.

The external IP I'm using is my ISP's proper given public address.

My confusion is with the proper IP's and ports supposedly given to the router... how would I troubleshoot the ports not actually being open when tested?

Just tried 0.0.0.0. No change.
canyouseeme.org:
"Error: I could not see your service on 24.138.***.*** on port (27005)

It should look like this.

LOCAL IP ADDRESS = 192.168.***.***
LOCAL START PORT = 27005
LOCAL END PORT = 27015

EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS = 0.0.0.0
EXTERNAL START PORT = 27005
EXTRNAL END PORT = 27015
--

PROTOCOL = BOTH (TCP & UDP)

ENABLED = YES

Note: The external IP address that was given to you stays the same 24.138.***.***. Only in the port forwarding menu do you put the external as 0.0.0.0

Last edited:
I switched externals to 0.0.0.0 but the result appears to be the same in that my ports appear closed when tested...

So I've done some digging in router for other settings that might be somehow getting in the way... DHCP server seemed to be starting on the same number I picked to set as static IP and also had a clients list of others using the router as well as my computer with the wrong IP address listed and a expire date set for "Fri Dec 13 20:45:53 1901"

I've tried changing my static IP to the wrong one listed so it matches and tried the ports again for it to still fail on me...

It seems to refuse having this listing changed or deleted but it made others disappear when I selected my own and pressed delete...

It should look like this.

LOCAL IP ADDRESS = 192.168.***.***
LOCAL START PORT = 27005
LOCAL END PORT = 27015

EXTERNAL IP ADDRESS = 0.0.0.0
EXTERNAL START PORT = 27005
EXTRNAL END PORT = 27015
--

PROTOCOL = BOTH (TCP & UDP)

ENABLED = YES

Note: The external IP address that was given to you stays the same 24.138.***.***. Only in the port forwarding menu do you put the external as 0.0.0.0
I've not seen a consumer router that asks for the WAN (public) "external" IP address for port forwarding. It's implicit!

using 0.0.0.0 must be some Motorola method of saying "use whatever the WAN IP is". Odd.

Maybe you could post a screen grab of the port forwarding setup (graphically fuzz out the external address. The LAN addresses aren't sensitive information. I think the only sensitive info is the public IP and the WiFi encryption mode/key.)

By the way, this discussion assumes that your ISP's service terms and conditions allow you to do this. Some ISPs block most or all ports other than benign things such as port 80 to-customer but not from customer (to prevent web servers), some common VoIP ports numbers (competitive issue), SMTP email servers, and so on. Some ISP blocks are direction sensitive.

Non-problem but FYI of readers here: You seem not to have a net 10 address on the WAN side of your router. Some ISPs are doing this now, to avoid using lots of IPv4 addresses, and perhaps to get customers who run servers to make it known (legitimize) and pay more for a public IP address.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!