What's new

Mount command syntax for a SMB2 share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeffrey Young

Very Senior Member
Hi all,

Hoping this one is an easy one to answer,

I have an AC86U with the 384.18 firmware. I am looking to mount an smb2 share on a NAS on my network, but am having troubles getting the syntax right.

This is not working for me;

mount -t cifs \\\\server\\share /mnt/mntpoint -o "vers=2"

I have also tried -t smbs and -t smbfs to no avail

Any help would be appreciated

If you're using a QNAP NAS, use the QFinder Pro utility and find your NAS. Right-click on it and click the 'Map network share'.

If you're using a QNAP NAS, use the QFinder Pro utility and find your NAS. Right-click on it and click the 'Map network share'.

Nope, trying to map to a samba server running on another Linux laptop (smb2) from the router itself.

Using mount -t cifs works fine for a smb1 share, but I get "unsupported function" when trying to go to a smb2 share.

Which router are you 'playing' with this on?

Do you have SMB1+SMB2 enabled on it?

RT-AC86U

SMB2 is turned on in the server section, but I am not trying to reach a server on the router, rather use the router as a client and reach out to another samba4 linux machine

interesting enough, I can get to the external smb2 share using smbclient fine (opkg install samba-client), but that does not mount the share. I am sure I am either using the wrong -t option or I am missing a kernel module.

Is this the distinction where an Asus router isn't 'running' Linux, but a ridiculously small subset of it?

Is this the distinction where an Asus router isn't 'running' Linux, but a ridiculously small subset of it?

Yeah, that is kinda what I am fearing :)

Hoping that I am wrong and one of the power hitters will nail it

I think you need to specify a user name and password.
Code:
mount -t cifs \\\\server\\share /mnt/mntpoint -o "username=colin,password=secret"

Thanks Colin, that format works perfectly for a smb1 share, which is what I had (an old WD MyCloud Gen1).

On a smb2 share, I get "operation not supported", which is what is leading me to believe a kernel issue, or wrong -t option.

@ColinTaylor ,@L&LD

I got it finally. The syntax is;

Code:
mount -t cifs \\\\server\\share /mountpoint -o "vers=2.1,username=name,password=password"

It was the vers=2.1 that did it. I was using 2.0, which does not work!!

Thanks for putting up with me :)

I hate to resurrect this old threat, but I'm having much the same problem; that is, I can't get the samba share to mount for the life of me. I think I'm most unclear about what value to put in "share" in \\\\server\\share... is that the "Device Name" listed in merlin, the partition name, or something else?

I hate to resurrect this old threat, but I'm having much the same problem; that is, I can't get the samba share to mount for the life of me. I think I'm most unclear about what value to put in "share" in \\\\server\\share... is that the "Device Name" listed in merlin, the partition name, or something else?
"share" is the name of the shared folder that you've created on your file server.

So, each specific folder within the mounted drive? I thought I could just mount the drive...
We're talking about mounting a network filesystem (i.e. SMB) on the router, not physical drives. Are you sure this is really what you want to do?

Maybe you're plugging your drive into the router's USB port and trying to share it's contents to devices on your LAN?

We're talking about mounting a network filesystem (i.e. SMB) on the router, not physical drives. Are you sure this is really what you want to do?

Maybe you're plugging your drive into the router's USB port and trying to share it's contents to devices on your LAN?
The latter is exactly what I'm trying to do. I've mounted usb drives via samba in the distant past—e.g., mount a usb drive connected to Ubuntu server edition on a Fedora system—but can't seem to do it here. Would NFS be a better solution?

The latter is exactly what I'm trying to do. I've mounted usb drives via samba in the distant past—e.g., mount a usb drive connected to Ubuntu server edition on a Fedora system—but can't seem to do it here. Would NFS be a better solution?
Then this thread is not for you. This thread is discussing the opposite of what you want.

Just log into the router's GUI and go to USB Application > Servers Center > Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk. Then setup your shared folders and user accounts as required.

Last edited:
Then this thread is not for you. This thread is discussing the opposite of what you want.

Just log into the router's GUI and go to USB Application > Servers Center > Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk. Then setup your shared folder and user accounts.
Thanks for clarifying!

I've already done those things and it still won't mount, hence me coming here. I'll go look elsewhere in the forum; thanks for the help!