What's new

Mounting ax11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

issom beituni

Occasional Visitor
So wanted to share on how I mounted my AX11000
Found this mount on amazon for a few bucks

7888e19cf387a4961b82388916f14220.jpg
7886c96907d346bcf2283cb223350151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad idea.

Your signal will be significantly weakened as your antenna polarization will be out of whack. Also, the unit is likely to overheat as the heat will be trapped. This router is meant to be used on the table, level.

I would agree with @zoulas, a small shelf would be better, overall. And I would experiment with positioning it both lower from the ceiling (around 3' or 1m away) and further out from the wall(s) too (same 1m or 3' distance).

Bad idea.

Your signal will be significantly weakened as your antenna polarization will be out of whack. Also, the unit is likely to overheat as the heat will be trapped. This router is meant to be used on the table, level.

Is anyone able to prove that the signal is out of whack?

Only the OP can if he/she wishes to test it. ;)

Some expensive WiFi testing analyzer HW.

For the most part the router should be placed Horizontally on a flat surface. That antennas should be positioned vertically for single level homes. Antennas positioned at 45 degrees approximately out away from the center of the router for multi level homes.

A WiFi analyzer would be nice, but simply using it as-is and then setting it level with the antennae straight up would be enough to see if the range, throughput, and responsiveness were improved or not. ;)

I have it mounted and my farther ring camera rssi signal actually improved. I don’t see a big difference anyway

I am less than convinced that it makes any material difference for this router. If the antennae were internal and fixed I would agree but in this case they are completely articulated.

You would have to understand the difference between horizontal and vertical polarization. Vertical antennas need to be mounted vertically. There is a radiation pattern that comes into play. If you google vertical antenna radiation pattern you will see what I mean.

You will get a signal mounted on the wall however it will be far from optimum.

Then is the issue of the heat not getting out as the vent now is in the front and not the top. Heat rises , so now it's getting trapped in the case and very little is coming out of the top vent which is now a side vent.

Articulating antennae can be and are misaligned/orientated all the time. :)

You will get a signal mounted on the wall however it will be far from optimum.

Then is the issue of the heat not getting out as the vent now is in the front and not the top. Heat rises , so now it's getting trapped in the case and very little is coming out of the top vent which is now a side vent.
If the antennae are all moved to be vertical then I'm struggling to see the difference.

Heat has never been an issue with this router.

BTW I'm not saying anyone is wrong about this, I would just like to find a scientific method of measuring the impact that doesn't require £20Ks worth of kit and a PhD in radio antennae design.

But, they're not all vertical. :)

Don't need anything but some time to test. ;)

But, they're not all vertical. :)

Don't need anything but some time to test. ;)
So how would you go about testing it?

Obviously at least two sets of testing, one vertical, one horizontal, with more sets if playing around with antennae.

But how would you accurately measure signal strength and throughput?

Don't need to be accurate. Only need a fast, stable and responsive network.

Either the testing (as you said; vertical vs. horizontal vs. any more sets if the first comparison warrants it) will confirm it as an issue or it won't.

I think it will. ;)

If you recall, the RT-AC66U router was flat orientation with antennas facing vertical, the replacement , the RT-AC68U was vertical orientation, the antennas were still facing vertical. For the radiation pattern to be optimal, and the beam forming to be optimal, the antennas need to be vertical
vs-asus-1-1.jpg

I have no heat or signal issues in my home I’m happy with it.

This was my other idea I was going to do with my 3D printer. I found this video on you tube

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!