What's new

Move freenas content to pc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lirancoh85

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have 4 hdd's in a freenas setup and I would like to transfer them to my pc.

Usually I would connect the freenas and would go to network option on my pc and would choose freenas and I would be able to copy the files from the hdd's. The problem is that it asks for password and I have no idea what it is, as before he never asked me for it.

When I'm trying to connect the hdd's directly to my pc they don't actually work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It's the password for your user account. Normal SMB/Windows networking.
Windows can't read EXT4 natively, that's why you can't see the data. A Linux system can.

Windows can't read EXT4 natively, that's why you can't see the data. A Linux system can.

Depends on what version of FreeNAS - they were BSD based until fairly recently...

IIRC, they were ZFS based for RAID support.

Usually I would connect the freenas and would go to network option on my pc and would choose freenas and I would be able to copy the files from the hdd's. The problem is that it asks for password and I have no idea what it is, as before he never asked me for it.
You should be able to load the freenas console a reset the password. Check the docs (or Google) for the specific version you are using for details.

Thanks, That Helped!

As mentioned in the TrueNAS forums, i found that pulling data from a ZFS pool in TrueNAS works best using a decent FTP client which allows you to login with root. It is definitely simpler than setting up SMB shares and very fast if you use a client such as WinSCP that supports multiple connections at once.

Depends on what version of FreeNAS - they were BSD based until fairly recently...

IIRC, they were ZFS based for RAID support.

TrueNAS Core is still FreeBSD-based. TrueNAS Scale is Linux based. FreeNAS is definitely FreeBSD based. All of them still rely on ZFS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!