What's new

Moved Two computers behind a wireless Bridge, no longer can see them in network discovery

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ppilot

Regular Contributor
So I am a little stumped on what do about my current issue. Currently I can't see two computers that were moved behind a wireless bridge despite being able to connect to them when they each had their own wireless adapter.

- Previously these two computers were connected via an AC wireless adapter and I was able to setup file sharing with no issues.
- I then connected both of these computers to a wireless bridged R7000 as both computers needed to have a faster connection between them while still connecting via wireless.
-Now I can't see the computers from other devices in the house, though I can still ping them.

Any ideas?

It could be the bridge is blocking Windows network discovery traffic. The protocol can be quite "chatty" and use up bandwidth.

It could be the bridge is blocking Windows network discovery traffic. The protocol can be quite "chatty" and use up bandwidth.

Yeah so I have some more weirdness. I had mapped a network drive to one of the computers and just for shirts , I double clicked on it (despite it having the red x) and it asked me to login to that computer. I entered the credentials and now the drive is working despite the computer still not showing up on the Network Discovery.

Networking sure seems like magic sometimes.

are they in the same windows share group ?

Yeah there were in the same Homegroup, but after I moved them I couldn't access any of the share folders. I removed myself from the Homegroup and attempted to connect again, but it said it couldn't find any Homegroups. This is even after I was able to connect the mapped network drive.

Windows Homegroup requires link local IPv6 for resolution.....many bridges don't handle IPv6 across the bridge.

Windows Homegroup requires link local IPv6 for resolution.....many bridges don't handle IPv6 across the bridge.

Would the same thing apply to general network discovery? It's just weird that I can connect to the mapped network drive but not see it under the Network section.

Some bridges "proxy" the WLAN, which is ok, as this is all layer 2 traffic, so the IP layer should be apparent... so devices might still be seen in Windows Network Neighborhood or Apple's bonjour stuff... but when looking at the layer 2, they're not there...

Depending on what OP is using for client discovery, the wired clients behind the bridge might not be seen...

Networks, like Ogres, have layers... (think Shrek, the movie)

As long as everything works... not much to worry about.

Windows Homegroups are a pox that should be avoided in a semi-complex network - MS doesn't really document that very well, and in a mixed client environment, even with MS only (think mixed XP/Vista/8/10), it sometimes works in amazing ways, contrary to expectations...

My guess is the broadcast traffic is not being forwarded across the bridge. Hence the reason it doesn't show up in Network Discovery but works fine when directly mapped.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!