What's new

Moving to RT68U from Plusnet router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wishmaster1965

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I flashed my router to the latest Merlin and was hoping to use this router with OpenVPN but every time I configure my RT68 in PPPOE it does not connect with the same IP I get from the plusnet router where it should delived a static addres.

WAN.JPG

Dont know if the sttings are correct above.

I need some assistance on configuring the rt68U to work with Plusnet, Any help gratefully acknowledged

Do you know your static IP? If you do, change the Automatic WAN IP to No and input what it should be.

does not connect with the same IP I get from the plusnet router where it should delived a static addres.

Static IP assigned to what router? Your ISP doesn't know you have a new router with a different MAC address, right? If you clone your ISP router MAC address, there is a good chance to get the same static IP back, even if you don't touch the "Get the WAN IP automatically" setting.

Quick question... is your Plusnet Router a combined Cable/DSL modem *and* router? If yes, you'll need to set your Plusnet modem side to bridged and your Plusnet router side to disabled, if there are settings available like that.

I'm on Comcast. They want to provide you a Modem/WiFi Router combo as part of their offering with a monthly rental fee. You can purchase your own modem and use your AC68U router. But, they *will* need the MAC ID of your modem if it isn't the one they supplied.

Hi,

I flashed my router to the latest Merlin and was hoping to use this router with OpenVPN but every time I configure my RT68 in PPPOE it does not connect with the same IP I get from the plusnet router where it should delived a static addres.

View attachment 22477

Dont know if the sttings are correct above.

I need some assistance on configuring the rt68U to work with Plusnet, Any help gratefully acknowledged

Your getting an IP address from the router, not the ISP.

You need to set your Plusnet Hub to modem only/pass through/bridge mode (whichever they offer) then you will get the ISP IP address at the router.

There are 3 different Plusnet Hubs so you'll need to check the relevant models instructions.

is your Plusnet Router a combined Cable/DSL modem *and* router?

Obviously the OP has a modem router in use , there is nowhere to attach an RJ45 lead to an ASUS AC68U

But, they *will* need the MAC ID of your modem if it isn't the one they supplied.

Nope, it is PPOE , you simply plug in and set it up. No MAC ID required.

You need to set your Plusnet Hub to modem only/pass through/bridge mode (whichever they offer) then you will get the ISP IP address at the router.

I'm assuming the ISP device is already in Bridge Mode and this is why he is setting account details on the router. Otherwise the ISP device in Router mode is establishing the connection, no?

I'm assuming the ISP device is already in Bridge Mode and this is why he is setting account details on the router. Otherwise the ISP device in Router mode is establishing the connection, no?

Exactly , the ISP device would need changing from router mode to bridge/pass through mode , router should be set in PPOE mode and the account settings configured.

Why do I need to use the plusnet router at all?

The Rt68u was purchased as a replacement for the plusnet router so all I need are settings for this.

This means I could user the asus router as a vpn server

Last edited:
Why do I need to use the plusnet router at all?
You shouldn't need to. As you are aware your static IP is linked to your Plusnet user account.

From what I've seen in the examples on Plusnet's site for using your own router the account user name should include the "@plusdsl.net". Are you doing that?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Beyond that I suggest that you ask for help in Plusnet's forums as obviously they have more experience with this kind of issue.

EDIT: Pinging @TheLyppardMan for any advice because I believe he is on Plusnet with a static IP.

EDIT 2: On the WAN settings page try changing "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" to No. Just an idea.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will be moving back to stock firmware as I found the plusnet forum settings for this router but cannot see these on merlin 384.16

Are you sure that your ASUS router is not a DSL-AC68U?

I Installed a DSL-AC68U in my girlfiends flat and I have an RT-68U at my house.

I Installed a DSL-AC68U in my girlfiends flat and I have an RT-68U at my house.

My question was for several reasons :

1) You say settings are missing from Merlin, they are not, Merlin does not remove features, it adds them.

2) Plusnet provide DSL modem routers , you now have an ASUS RT-AC68U which requires you to use a modem , I asked previously what modem you were using as we had assumed you were using the Plusnet Hub in bridge mode as your modem.

After doing some research the rt68u does not do pppoa and plusnet use this for vdsl. So I purchased a cheap vdsl router that supports pppoa and bridge mode so this should get me what I need.

Thanks for the help

After doing some research the rt68u does not do pppoa and plusnet use this for vdsl. So I purchased a cheap vdsl router that supports pppoa and bridge mode so this should get me what I need.

Thanks for the help

Sorry but you are deluded ;

All BT/OpenReach FTTC/VDSL is PPOE ......

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

If you've got fibre broadband, here are the settings you need. Some of these terms can vary from router to router, but these are the most commonly used.

It asks for: Use:
Broadband username or login name yourusername@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation PPPoE Always On
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
VLAN Active
VLAN ID (802.1q) 101
VLAN ID (802.1p) 0
Not all routers will ask for all these settings, so don't worry if you can't find some of them. Just make sure the settings it does ask for match the ones above.

The router you keep quoting is a cable model it has no modem which is why you were asked several times what modem you were using.

It is impossible to use the ASUS RT models without a modem/bridge device.

As others have said, the asus is just a router, it has no built in modem.

I was with plusnet in the uk until a few months ago when I switched to zen. Whilst with plusnet I had a static IP and it is assigned based on the ppoe login, not the mac or anything else. I was using an Asus RT-AX88U coupled with a bt openreach modem.

With the asus router you have you need a modem. A draytek vigor 130 would work out of the box with zero configuration required on the modem itself. However you will likely get a better link speed out of the now discontinued bt openreach modems if your local vdsl cabinet is huweai (most are). You can pick these openreach modems up cheaply on ebay for less than a tenner.

If you get the openreach modem then there are instructions online on how to crack it in order to flash the latest firmware which will then support g.inp for an even better connection speed.

Thanks Phil

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online