What's new

MTU & VPN Speeds.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CaptainSTX

Part of the Furniture
While some VPN providers seem to recommend you use an MTU of 1500 PIA seems to recommend using a smaller MTU when using their service.

When I use PIA on my router and check my MTU it comes back at 1392 even though all my hardware is set at 1500.

I then added the following settings to my PIA configuration file:

tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450

I then re ran a series of speed tests and while the speed was slightly slower to the nearest PIA VPN server (200 miles ) to a more distant server (1200 miles ) the download speed increased by 14 Mbps or 8% at the 95% confidence level.

The strange thing though is when I checked my MTU after adding the above settings my MTU had decreased to 1360.

My question is what MTU are other PIA users using and does a setting an MTU really make any difference when you are using UDP?

While some VPN providers seem to recommend you use an MTU of 1500 PIA seems to recommend using a smaller MTU when using their service.

When I use PIA on my router and check my MTU it comes back at 1392 even though all my hardware is set at 1500.

I then added the following settings to my PIA configuration file:

tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450

I then re ran a series of speed tests and while the speed was slightly slower to the nearest PIA VPN server (200 miles ) to a more distant server (1200 miles ) the download speed increased by 14 Mbps or 8% at the 95% confidence level.

The strange thing though is when I checked my MTU after adding the above settings my MTU had decreased to 1360.

My question is what MTU are other PIA users using and does a setting an MTU really make any difference when you are using UDP?
I use TorGuard. The only MTU issues I have seen are warning messages:

Code:
 WARNING: ‘link-mtu’ is used inconsistently, local=’link-mtu 1558′, remote=’link-mtu 1526′
 WARNING: ‘tun-mtu’ is used inconsistently, local=’tun-mtu 1532′, remote=’tun-mtu 1500

If I remove the "tun-mtu-extra 32" line from the Custom Configuration section, the warning messages no longer appear. According TorGuard support, the warning messages do not cause any issues. May WAN MTU is set to 1492.