What's new

MU-MIMO + OFDMA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I'm curious about the OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO setting on the Wireless-Professional page.

Any opinions on best setting here? My current setting is "DL OFDMA Only", which I guess is the default since I've never touched it myself. There are a few other settings options, and so that is why I'm wondering about it. My network is working fine, so it's not a troubleshooting problem, so much as just curiosity. I do have a number of AX devices.

MU-MIMO and OFDMA.jpg

Thanks,
Anton

I'm running DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO on mine since January of this year. No issues, seemed more responsive (when I had tested for this setting at that time).

You know how your network responds now, change it, reboot the router and see if it's an improvement for you, or not.

The 802.11ax spec allows for downlink and uplink forms of both OFDMA and MU-MIMO. Implementation of all forms is not required. Support in both APs/routers and devices is not clearly spec'd by manufacturers.

ASUS is the only manufacturer I know of that provides control of subsets of OFDMA and MU-MIMO. Like many of the settings it provides, they can lead to more confusion (and misconfiguration) and hurt vs. help.

Typically, the defaults are what the manufacturer things will cause the fewest support incidents. There is no right answer for these settings.