What's new

Mu mimo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nickrog101

New Around Here
Hi

just a quick question

asus rt ac5300 or any other router for that matter

under wireless and professional tab...

should I have multi user mimo enabled in the 2.4 band? I see it as an option.

edit: better yet can someone take a screen shot of the professional tab under wireless for the 2.4 band to see what I should be enabling and disabling. Thanks

Hi

just a quick question

asus rt ac5300 or any other router for that matter

under wireless and professional tab...

should I have multi user mimo enabled in the 2.4 band? I see it as an option.

edit: better yet can someone take a screen shot of the professional tab under wireless for the 2.4 band to see what I should be enabling and disabling. Thanks

Professional 2.4/5.0 non-default settings:
- disable TX Bursting per band, if no G devices (preserves N speed?)
- disable Airtime Fairness per band (incompatible with some adapters)
- disable Universal Beamforming per band, if causing instability/low link rates with legacy adapters

OE

Last edited:
I agree with Mr Edge. I save my 2.4 for my slower devices which probably aren't even MU-MIMO capable so yes, disable. My recommendations for changes to the default settings are:

Wireless 2.4 GHz Professional
Modulation Scheme/Turbo QAM - Disable (Only helps with clients that support it and there are not very many)
Airtime Fairness - Disable (causes connectivity issues for various devices, including wireless printers)
Multi-User MIMO - Disable (not an option on all models)
Explicit Beamforming - Disable
Universal Beamforming - Disable

Wireless 5 GHz Professional
Airtime Fairness - Disable
Universal Beamforming - Disable (non-standard, might cause compatibility issues with some clients)

On the 5 GHz band I did see a slight increase in performance with MU-MIMO enabled. More info here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-anyone-using-mu-mimo.40553/

MU-MIMO doesn't apply to 2.4 GHz for AC routers. It works only for 5 GHz downlink.

It does apply to AX routers for both bands. Whether it actually improves performance is TBD.

MU-MIMO doesn't apply to 2.4 GHz for AC routers. It works only for 5 GHz downlink.

It does apply to AX routers for both bands. Whether it actually improves performance is TBD.

Which sucks because MU-MIMO on 2.4ghz AX actually makes a ton of sense for IoT devices via 4x4 radio imo (assuming it works properly).

Wish there was a client push for newer devices, but I believe engineers are waiting for a price drop to factor it into product stacks. (At least this is the case for other fields in the computer electronics industry).