What's new

much worse signal strength from new Asus RT N66U than my old router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Peanuts2501

New Around Here
I previously had a RT-n56u and today i bought the RT-n66u with the three external antennas I should get better signal strength then with the old router that has built in antennas.

But no, the signal is much much worse. I think something must be wrong.

I have placed the router on the same spot as the old one, and all my things are on the same place, computer, ps3, smartphone, etc.

I get about 40mbit wirelessly from my 100+mbit fiber connection now, before with the older n56u router I got over 80mbit wirelessly. (with Asus USB-n53 wireless adapter on 5Ghz)

What's the problem here? I have tried to move the external antennas in different directions but no luck.

Last edited:
You proceed from a false assumption. I have found no evidence that external antennas produce better performance. The only advantage is the ability to upgrade antennas.

Most likely your better performance with the N56U was due to its Ralink chipset talking to the Ralink chipset in the USB-N53 adapter. The N66U uses Broadcom.

does the newer n65u use same Ralink chipset as the older n56u? in that case I will get that one. I just hope it does not drop as my old n56u did. It just lost connection and I had to reboot it manually every time about once a day