What's new

Multiple IP addresses...not router specific

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wh7qq

I just noticed on the Raspberry Pi forums an issue that I had experienced but paid little attention to: That my active Raspberry Pi computers on my network always seemed to get two IP addresses. One of the IPs would always be the static assignment while the other was a DHCP assignment. It had never posed a problem for my small network so I just accepted it as a fluke.

Are there any bright ideas out there as to why, or how to mitigate or eliminate the issue?

I use an RT-n 66 router with Linux boxes but various posters on the RPi forums use other hardware. As many routers use older Linux kernels (generally 2.6.x), perhaps it is a Linux or Linux kernel issue. ???

You say this is already being discussed in the Pi forums so that would the logical place to look for answers. Do you have a link to that discussion.

Are the IP addresses associated with different MAC addresses? Where are you seeing these two addresses?

The PI is a odd beast in that you cannot use normal methods as you can with Linux is setting a Static IP. I always ended up just setting the IP for the MAC on the router for my rPi that I had.

The issue is being discussed on the RPi forum but so far, without resolution which is why I raised the issue here...seemed like an appropriate place. My initial impressions are that the problem may not be specific to the client OS but occurs with W$/Apple as well. Offhand, I can't say if a different MAC is being used. I will check that out. I have noticed it when VNC is used with wireless but whether it is associated with either is unknown at this time.

@Greg72:The RPi is a bit of an odd beast but setting up the IP in Raspbian is a PITA and the process seems to change frequently. Like you, I have always just set the IP in the router as it is very convenient in Asus/WRT and forks. I had noticed the multiple IPs in the router list but ignored it. My router simply allows either DHCP or static modes and rather than set up a network of static assignments, it is easier to use the DHCP and static together in that way.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!