What's new

Multiple openvpn clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Crozzer

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an ASUS RT-N66U router and have a purevpn account. I can set up the openvpn clients no problem, but I am wondering what is the benefit of having all 5 configurable clients configure and active ? I am guessing that if one isn't available for whatever, it will use another. If that is the case, how does it prioritise the one it uses, assuming you have 5 different opvn files installed ? Is it as simple as tries client 1 and if that fails, moves to client 2 and so on, or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely ? Thanks.

Hi,

I have an ASUS RT-N66U router and have a purevpn account. I can set up the openvpn clients no problem, but I am wondering what is the benefit of having all 5 configurable clients configure and active ? I am guessing that if one isn't available for whatever, it will use another. If that is the case, how does it prioritise the one it uses, assuming you have 5 different opvn files installed ? Is it as simple as tries client 1 and if that fails, moves to client 2 and so on, or have I got the wrong end of the stick completely ? Thanks.

It doesn't work like that at least not through the GUI.

If you choose to have multiple VPN clients active at the same time you would use policy routing so that certain clients go to VPN Client 1, others to VPN Client 2 and so on. There is no fall over.

Challenges you will have to overcome to make multiple VPN clients work.

1. You may need to set up each client to use a different port. It may create problems if all the clients are trying to use the same port.

2. The biggest challenge will be the N66. The processor will probably only give you 15 - 20Mbps downloads running a single VPN client. With multiple clients, particularly if there is much traffic your throughput will be much less and don't even consider running multiple VPN clients, QOS, parental controls, etc. all at the same time as the processor just isn't up to it.