What's new

Multiple Router Login/Username?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drewski22785

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to create multiple admin usernames for a router, I have the RT-AX88U running Merlins latest code. I am setting up remote access to the router and would like multiple user capability. Thanks!

Searching the forums will give you this.

Searching the forums will give you this.
Creating multiple Linux accounts won't change the fact that the web interface only works for one user account. If he needs multiple remote user accounts he should use a VPN.

Creating multiple Linux accounts won't change the fact that the web interface only works for one user account. If he needs multiple remote user accounts he should use a VPN.
Hi Colin, Thank you for the reply. The concern with the vpn option is I am trying to make remote access available for when there is a problem with the vpn. I have run into scenario's where NTP gets too far out of sync on the AX88U server and or cert issues randomly. The only fix is a manual reboot or such to fix the ntp or cert regeneration. The vpn is down during this time so I need regular remote access to do so. I also have a similar thread about locking down the remote access functionality to reduce security risks.

Hi Colin, Thank you for the reply. The concern with the vpn option is I am trying to make remote access available for when there is a problem with the vpn. I have run into scenario's where NTP gets too far out of sync on the AX88U server and or cert issues randomly. The only fix is a manual reboot or such to fix the ntp or cert regeneration. The vpn is down during this time so I need regular remote access to do so. I also have a similar thread about locking down the remote access functionality to reduce security risks.
I see. But the answer is the same, the web interface is designed around a single logon account. The router is fundamentally a single-user machine, so even if it were possible to add additional users they would all have the same level of access making it rather pointless.

I see. But the answer is the same, the web interface is designed around a single logon account. The router is fundamentally a single-user machine, so even if it were possible to add additional users they would all have the same level of access making it rather pointless.
Ahh yes, fair point. I thought about that, as well if it really mattered. Thank you for clearing that up!