What's new

Multiple Static IPs Wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hatrickwah

New Around Here
I've had ASUS routers for year plus now. I used to use a Linksys running Tomato. Curious to know if anyone has successfully mapped multiple WAN side static IPs to servers inside the network. Basically I have 5 static IPs from Comcast Business for my company when I was hosting on site; I've since moved hosting offsite, and therefore haven't used but 1 for the past year. Now I have a new project coming that would benefit from my multiple static IPs. I know ASUS-WRT has some capacity for tweaks, but can it or something like ASUSWRT-Merlin help with this? Any input would be a great help.

I've reasonably successfully managed to do this on the TomatoUSB firmware by Shibby (RT-N66U), but not on the ASUS or Merlin firmware.

On the ASUS/Merlin firmware I did manage to get the outside world to see I was using any one of the static IP's I have in my block (209-213 for devices, 214 for router), but I was unable to receive incoming traffic to any one of the IP's that I had linked up a device with.

One thing I still haven't figured out how to do is also have a private LAN network which can access the internet connection appearing to be from the router's IP (214) or DHCP supplied IP from the ISP upon PPPoE connecting successfully. For this I've temporarily setup pfSense (using 209 from the IP block as its IP, and a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1). This works but I'd like to eventually get rid of pfSense as a VM and have this setup entirely on the RT-N66U only.

PM me if you want some info on how I did the IP setup (public IP's that is) on TomatoUSB.

If anyone else may know how I can do a LAN IP setup on the router in addition to the public IP block I've got setup then I'd be very appreciative to know how.

You can use multiple static IP's in the merlin builds using the wan-start, nat-start & firewall start scripts.

I have a /29 range from my ISP and do this.

Regards,

You can use multiple static IP's in the merlin builds using the wan-start, nat-start & firewall start scripts.

I have a /29 range from my ISP and do this.

Regards,

Do the devices on your local network have one of the IP's assigned to you by the ISP, or are they on LAN based IP addresses with the router 'forwarding' public to LAN?

I have set a single IP address on the router with /29 mask (and use this as default hide address)
I am then natting the other usable addresses to machines as required - some as 1-1 nat and some using pat.

The internal machines are using LAN based addressing and nat is managed by the router.

I also got a second n66u today - have been meaning to get a backup one for a while! and have put Tomato - shibby on this one.

I ported my scripts pretty much as is and it worked first time on this as well.

Last edited:
I have set a single IP address on the router with /29 mask (and use this as default hide address)
I am then natting the other usable addresses to machines as required - some as 1-1 nat and some using pat.

The internal machines are using LAN based addressing and nat is managed by the router.

I also got a second n66u today - have been meaning to get a backup one for a while! and have put Tomato - shibby on this one.

I ported my scripts pretty much as is and it worked first time on this as well.

Ah, I see. I'm looking for a solution to having both LAN IP's go through the router (192.168.0.x) and on certain devices having a public IP directly.

For example:
- My router is on .214
- My pfSense VM (which is currently handling 192.168.0.x devices) is on .209 and 192.168.0.1
- My home server is on .210
- Another VM is on .211, .212 and .213

The devices on .209 to .213 are actually physically setup to use their public IP's set, with the gateway IP set to point to .214. Having them use LAN IP's and router forward traffic isn't an ideal method for me unfortunately, as the game servers would see that they are on a LAN IP instead of a public IP.

I think for now the only way I can continue to do this is to have pfSense on a virtual machine with both a public IP and LAN IP, with DHCP server (to issue LAN IP's to those devices which aren't setup with a public IP). I could of course order a larger block, but that's a waste considering I wouldn't always be using all of them anyway lol.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!