What's new

Multiple tries needed to open windows share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gelliss

Occasional Visitor
I've got a strange problem with Windows networking i'm hoping someone might have some ideas how to fix. I have 3 PCs on a home network set to private. Two run windows 10 and another, windows 11. One of the PCs running 10 is on all the time with a static IP and mostly used as a Plex server though you can browse the internet on it too. The other two PCs are shut down each night or restarted periodically during the day. All are on the same private network with Network discovery on, file and printer sharing on and passwords off. They all share the public windows folders and the PC with Plex also shares a separate drive with the Plex files on it. It's set to share with "EVERYONE".

When either of the PCs that are turned off at night, or even rebooted, start up, it takes multiple attempts to access the Plex server through Windows Network or file explorer even though the PC shows up right away. I keep getting "error code: 0x80070035 the network path was not found" when I click on it After a dozen or so attempts to open it with that error code cand canceling, it will finally connect and works fine till the PC is shut down again. The kicker is it works right away if I map a share using the Plex server's IP address instead.

Does anyone have an idea why this might happen? At first I thought maybe the network card in the Plex PC was "sleeping" but I checked power settings to make sure that wasn't happening. I've reset all the PCs networking multiple times, reset the firewalls to default on the Plex server, tried various things online but nothing seems to help. The only thing saving my sanity is that it worksright away if I map the share using the Plex server's IP. It's just one of those things I'd like to know why the heck it happens. This page includes things i've tried to fix it. https://thegeekpage.com/fix-windows-10-error-code-0x80070035-the-network-path-was-not-found/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!