What's new

Multiple VPNs - need advice on how to switch SOLVED

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

borussia

New Around Here
Hello, I have a RT-AC68U / AsusWRT-Merlin 384.6 and would like to use the 5 available client slots for vpn. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to use them, specifically, how to switch from one to another!

For now I have 2 VPN client credentials in slot 1 and 2 respectively.

Slot 1 works well, it is also configured as "connect on boot". This connection is stable and works.

Then I configured slot 2. As the VPN Provider is the same as for slot 1, I mirrored the data and cannot imagine I left something out. Of course, I used a different server / ovpn file!

Now this is the situation:

I would like to change the client. What steps do I take? I tried deactivating slot 1, change to slot 2 and activate that. That did not work. Next I did the same, but after each step I scrolled down to apply the settings. That did not work either. At this point I am not getting any connection whatsoever and I have to restart the router and client 1 is active again (connect on boot)

Can someone tell me the exact steps I need to take to successfully change from one client to another?

Many thanks in advance!!

Many VPN providers will only let you run a single VPN client from them on a particular device simultaneously. This is even if they say you can run five clients. If the VPN provider offers the option to use different port numbers different clients on your then you should be able to get it working. In addition each port will probably have different settings for protocol, encryption, auth hash, etc. You will have to contact your VPN provider and ask them about using other ports and the protocol setup. Some of their alternative setup requirements may not be supported by ASUS/Merlin.

If you only want to run a single client at a time but store multiple servers, one in each client, then stop the running client first, then start the second client. Note that if you use policy routing and have the IP for a device listed in a client's setup you can not run another client's setup and use that IP unless you delete the IP from all other client setups where it appears.

Now this is the situation:

I would like to change the client. What steps do I take? I tried deactivating slot 1, change to slot 2 and activate that. That did not work. Next I did the same, but after each step I scrolled down to apply the settings. That did not work either. At this point I am not getting any connection whatsoever and I have to restart the router and client 1 is active again (connect on boot)

see Merlin VPN clients 2 thru 5 have no Internet unless turning on client 1 afterwards.

Note that if you use policy routing and have the IP for a device listed in a client's setup you can not run another client's setup and use that IP unless you delete the IP from all other client setups where it appears.

Not true.

Not true.
When I was running three active VPN clients on my 1900P I could only have a device listed under one client. You are probably correct that if a client is not active you can get by having device listed under more than one client. When I get a chance I will confirm if turning a client off is enough.

When I was running three active VPN clients on my 1900P I could only have a device listed under one client. You are probably correct that if a client is not active you can get by having device listed under more than one client. When I get a chance I will confirm if turning a client off is enough.

3 Clients not running concurrently but with an ACTIVE kill switch for all three, with all three Client's Policy rules identical but different VPN endpoints:
Policy rules

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!