What's new

Multiple vulnerabilities in Asus routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

seekingbuddha

New Around Here
I am not an expert in security, but while doing a search on google regarding Asus Merlin and trying to figure out if alternate firmware for my new Asus TM-AC1900 ( ie. RT-AC68U) i ran into this webpage that discusses security issues with Asus routers. I have not read the whole thread, but comments are only about 3 months old, as of August 2017.

I wish to discuss if Asus Merlin and/OR Tomato have fixed the issues discussed in the above article/comments. I plan to run both of these firmwares, to see what fits my needs best. Thanks for all comments regarding which one of these two firmware is better suited for someone who DOES NOT plan to run a Gigabit wireless LAN, but needs only
  1. Performance
  2. Stability
  3. Ability to increase/decrease transmit power of router AC68U
  4. Security updates to the firmware done at least once in 6 months (or a year) . I can not upgrade firmware on my home router every month or two, but will update to new version of firmware, only when time permits ( -- like most home users, who choose 3rd party firmware for their routers).

...but needs only
  1. Performance
  2. Stability
  3. Ability to increase/decrease transmit power of router AC68U
  4. Security updates to the firmware done at least once in 6 months (or a year) . I can not upgrade firmware on my home router every month or two, but will update to new version of firmware, only when time permits ( -- like most home users, who choose 3rd party firmware for their routers).
The ability of increase/decrease transmit power is out of control for the end user due to regulatory requirements: Asus had to lock down this options (and to my opinion: they have overdone it). :confused:

The rest of your requirements is part of the Merlin Charta for his firmware fork. :cool: