What's new

Multiple WiFi Meshes with only 1 ethernet cable set?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

irnerd

New Around Here
Happy to consider new Mesh Hardware if the price is not prohibitive. ?

Is there any software approach method to having the WiFi Mesh serve two Access Points? Each Access Point serves a different subnet?
1) LAN + WAN (192.168.2.xxx)
2) WAN only? (192.168.50.xxx)

Detail
Organically grown LAN 192.168.2.xxx - DLNA, TV / Streaming, NAS File Server, App Servers (Laptops) Print Servers, tablets, laptops, Phones - where cabled ethernet facility is avaialble on the end point device then it is used.
Thick walls, bungalow, wide floor space
Unamanaged Switches connected via Ethernet in each room with Wi-FI Mesh dishes connected to said Unmanaged Switches - room roaming is seamless most of the time - though Sonos units get uppity.

Added WI-FI Mesh on same Subnet (BT Whole Home - is easy) to cover black spots - Uses DHCP provided by 192.168.2.xxx main router

Recently acquired 2nd FTTC line (slow speeds out here)

192.168.2.xxx Router not up to job of running LAN and Load Balancing (busy LAN performance hungry)

Added 2nd router - Load Balances 2x FTTC Connections - Accessible on 192.68.50.xxx (Dual WAN)
This second router is providing WAN service to 192.168.2.xxx (seen as a single WAN Connection for 192.168.2.xxx)
It has its Own Access Point - but is building wall thickness and area prohibits WiFi coverage

Want Home Residents to use WI-FI mesh for 192.168.2.xxx (LAN + WAN)
Want external contractors and guests to use 192.168.50.xxx (WAN Only) (MESHED with single Mesh Hardware if possible?)

Have only 1 Wi-Fi Mesh hardware set
Have only 1 Ethernet cabling set (built into the walls and not easy / would say impossible to add second ethernet cabling as behind plastering and some rooms are vaulted ceilings.

Side Note : I am noticing the Mesh on 192.168.2.xxx subnet is dropping connections - presumably because the jump from 2.xxx to 50.xxx requires clever NATting- it works - it just cuts a bit when wandering around the building

I thought about having all wifi userss on 192.168.50.xxx subnet and managing users to access LAN Devices - but being on my own managing ports and permissions is not worth the effort.

I don't want to get rid of 192.168.2.xxx subnet and the idea of LAN resources behind 2 firewalls (2.xxx and 50.xxx) would be a good security measure.

The alternative is migrating all devices from 192.168.2.xxx to 192.168.50.xxx and that will take probably a whole day (not a great use of weekends)

What i think you may need to look at is running VLANs on hardware that supports them. 1 VLAN for guests and one for internal users. Maybe the existing routers and APs support already ? You might have to replace the unmanaged switches.

It is easily possible to run multiple VLANs over a single Ethernet cable. What you need is a pair of smart switches. Smart switches start at US$30. You then set up 802.1Q VLANS. While all the VLANs are in the same subnet they are isolated from each other. Using TP-Link switches I run three VLANs over a single cable. (IoT, video and secure). All setup using the switch's GUI.

Thank you @CaptainSTX and @degrub

I currently have 4 active non managed switches
4 wifi mesh discs are each served by their own non managed switch which are themselves serving other end points
Access Point SSID DDDAGS is the meshed wifi that needs to faciliate multiple subnets.

Is it a case of replace each of the unmanaged switches? I could only find starting price of 86GBP for each unit -gets pricey

Thanks again - really appreciate the input - hopefully the attached image is legible

Routers at 6'oclock - ADSL2+ / VDSL separate.

Attachments

• CurrentLANs.png
    CurrentLANs.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 108
Thank you @CaptainSTX and @degrub

I currently have 4 active non managed switches
4 wifi mesh discs are each served by their own non managed switch which are themselves serving other end points
Access Point SSID DDDAGS is the meshed wifi that needs to faciliate multiple subnets.

Is it a case of replace each of the unmanaged switches? I could only find starting price of 86GBP for each unit -gets pricey

Thanks again - really appreciate the input - hopefully the attached image is legible

Routers at 6'oclock - ADSL2+ / VDSL separate.
Look at the price for either TP-Link or Netgear smart switches converting from US$30 - GPB = 22. Even with tariffs and VAT 86GBP seems high.