What's new

multiple wireless networks...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v1k0d3n

Occasional Visitor
[possibly] easy question in answer, but i can't see how it can be done through the gui anyway.

is there anyway to have the default wireless networks:
ssid_2.4 GHz (WPA2 Personal)
ssid_5.0 GHz (WPA2 Personal)

and then add a second set of wireless networks with WEP only:
guest_ssid_2.4 GHz (WEP)
guest_ssid_5.0 GHz (WEP)

Reason is because apparently there may be issues with the PS Vita/PS4 Remote Play because I have spaces and symbols in my SSID. I'm not sure if this really is the issue, but I would like to test it, by setting up separate wireless networks on perhaps different bridge interfaces (for logging purposes) and a different set of iptables rules.

Can this be done?

Why not create a Guest Network through the webui? It won't let you use WEP (you shouldn't ever use WEP anyway), but at least it will let you use a different SSID.

well, i could...and have thought about that. is there any way to add some sort of security to the network (even mac address filtering at the least)?

also, my network isn't your average user's network. i have a dhcp/dns server on my 192.168.A.x network. if i create a guest network of 192.168.B.x, can i somehow proxy dhcp/dns requests to a server on my .A. net or can i at a minimum, use the dhcp/dns servers ONLY on the .B. net? hopefully that makes sense...sorry if this is confusing.

well, i could...and have thought about that. is there any way to add some sort of security to the network (even mac address filtering at the least)?

also, my network isn't your average user's network. i have a dhcp/dns server on my 192.168.A.x network. if i create a guest network of 192.168.B.x, can i somehow proxy dhcp/dns requests to a server on my .A. net or can i at a minimum, use the dhcp/dns servers ONLY on the .B. net? hopefully that makes sense...sorry if this is confusing.

Asuswrt's guest network lives on the same network as the main one. It's just that it's using a different SSID, with a different auth key, and can optionally be configured so clients connecting to it won't be able to access anything on the LAN - only Internet addresses.

If you need something more complicated then I have no idea. I know some people played with multiple subnets in the past, you will have to dig through the forum posts for any info about it. You will definitely need to do most of that configuration manually.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!