What's new

Multirole OpenVPN server on OpenWRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

reynard80

New Around Here
I'm running an OpenWRT router, and I've already configured an OpenVPN server on it. This enables me to connect my mobile devices on the go to my home network.

However, now I want to be able to connect to a VPN provider as well. So, the OpenVPN instance should connect to my VPN provider as a client. Then, my mobile clients and some hardware at home should connect to my local OpenVPN server in order to use the VPN provider.

How should this be done? Is this a good solution at all? I haven't been able to find a good tutorial or anything really.

I *think* what you're asking for (to restate it more clearly) is the ability to establish an OpenVPN client at home on your OpenWRT router to some commercial OpenVPN provider (PIA, PureVPN, etc.), then have your remote OpenVPN client (e.g., mobile device on the road) connect to your OpenVPN server back home (on that same router), and routed through the OpenVPN client there (iow, through PIA, PureVPN, etc.).

IOW, your OpenWRT router is supporting both an OpenVPN server and OpenVPN client at the same time. And any remote OpenVPN clients accessing that OpenVPN server are routed through the local OpenVPN client rather than the WAN/ISP.

Am I on the right track?

Hi all, I have exactly the same question. I'm enabling both the openVPN server and openVPN client on my ASUS (merlin) router, but any traffic destine for the internet (over the client to commercial VPN provider) gets dropped? (as explained above by eibgrad)

Mobile openVPN client -> home openVPN server(can access LAN) -> home openVPN client(access to private internet) -> commercial openVPN server.

I attempted to add policy based routing to enforce traffic from the openVPN server to go through the openVPN client on the router, but did not work? I assume something is perhaps wrong with the default gateway when the openVPN client is switched on??

Last edited:
Hi all, I have exactly the same question. I'm enabling both the openVPN server and openVPN client on my ASUS (merlin) router, but any traffic destine for the internet (over the client to commercial VPN provider) gets dropped? (as explained above by eibgrad)

Mobile openVPN client -> home openVPN server(can access LAN) -> home openVPN client(access to private internet) -> commercial openVPN server.

I attempted to add policy based routing to enforce traffic from the openVPN server to go through the openVPN client on the router, but did not work? I assume something is perhaps wrong with the default gateway when the openVPN client is switched on??

Does openvpn server and client question for 'pass-thru' configuration help?

Many Thanks Martineau! Just tested it and it works. I searched the VPN fourm for this question, but didn't see anything resembling my question - Apparently I searched in the wrong category. Cheers!