What's new

multisecond ping latencies on wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This likely is not a Wireless issue, but a basic network issue... and something that is causing the routers to get so loaded up CPU wise... those ping times are insane for a Local Area Network, period..

My thoughts...

1) Swapped Routers, problem didn't change
2) Changed Clients, problem didn't change
3) Changed Channels, a little bit of change

What hasn't changed?

I'm willing to bet that the same cable is being used from the Modem to the Router/AP, and that's the first thing I would change out there - also, check the upstream modem - it might be in a funky state...

Swap out the WAN cable, and reset the modem... report back.

sfx
I am pinging the AP/router itself, not some device that is connected on the WAN so I doubt the cable between the AP and the modem matters. I did once (a long time ago) experience weird behaviour when pinging the upstream router (actually all WAN traffic had very long delays but I traced it to or before the first upstream router) and I reported this to the ISP who reset some equipment and the behaviour disappeared.

Ping latencies all look good now (I switched from channel 4 to channel 3 as I discovered yet another AP on channel 6). Something on or close to channel 11 (2.462GHz) was (is?) generating intermittent interference that seems to last for many seconds (I have seen this strange ping behaviour with up to ten seconds of latency). So changing channels seems to have made a world of difference. I'll continue to do some pinging in the background to see if the problem returns.

I did install and run kismet overnight and now have 45MB of logs to try to understand. There seems to be >400 unique bssid's but only 6 networks (essid's and those on channel 11 did not show up, I might have misconfigured kismet so that it did not check all channels, the default was to use the US approved channels and I am not in the US). I am not knowledgeable enough to know what this means.

My old 802.11bgn 2.4GHz AP works fine now, I don't really know what to do with the new 802.11abgnac 2.4/5GHz AP. But as 802.11ac and 5GHz support is getting more common, I guess I can see it as an investment for the future.