What's new

My Aimesh experience

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KennethF

New Around Here
New user, been reading tons of threads and posts in order to troubleshoot my own issues. Wanted to give something back by detailing my own Aimesh experience.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum - admin, feel free to move my post.

So;

House: Approx 1.720 square feet (160 kvm) - with a tricky angle thus wireless signals can barely reach from one side to the other

Router 1: ISP (due to IP TV and fiber - disabled wireless) router - IGW 3000 - pass through switch
Router 2:
AC66U-B1 - Converted from AP to Aimesh Node.
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_20942
2.4 and 5 ghz SSID's​
Router 3:
RT-AC68U - Recently purchased as Aimesh router in AP mode
2.4 and 5 ghz SSID's​

Router 1 and Router 3 wired (running cables in parts of the house), but in opposite sides of the house.
Router 2 converted to Aimesh node to extend wireless connectivity to the far end of the house due to negative feedback (screaming and death threats) from family members...

Aimesh setup and experience

Upgraded firmware on the AC66U-B1 to 3.0.0.4.384_20942
Backed up config.
Restored config to the RT-AC68U (worked fine) - AP mode
Upgraded firmware on RT-AC68U to 3.0.0.4.384_20942 (not sure if I had to do this, due to the config restore)

Verified timezone alignment between the two.

Following official steps to convert the AC66U-B1 to node - Wireless mode. Worked fine, but took several attempts in order for the RT-AC68U to see it for reasons unbeknownst to me. I read from other posts that this is a common issue.

Once connected, everything worked great .....for 10 minutes.
Not only did the node disconnect (offline mode on the router), but my entire wireless setup died. Wired continued to work. I retried resetting probably 15 times to make sure I didn't do anything wrong, but the issue persisted. Everything is sweet for approx 10 minutes, then it's offline time.

Spent hours playing around with roaming assistant settings, Airtime fairness and all that jazz. To no avail.
Looking in the logs, it seems my node was disconnected because of signal strength?

discover candidate node [38:D5:47:D8:E7:D0](rssi: -63dbm) for weak signal strength client [1C:E6:2B:BF:7C:87](rssi: -76dbm)
roamast: eth2: disconnect weak signal strength station [1c:e6:2b:bf:7c:87]
roamast: eth2: remove client [1c:e6:2b:bf:7c:87] from monitor list
roamast: eth1: add client [ec:ad:b8:7c:46:9b] to monitor list
roamast: eth1: add client [38:d5:47:d8:e7:d1] to monitor list
roamast: eth2: add client [3c:2e:ff:dc:4a:8c] to monitor list
roamast: discover candidate node [38:D5:47:D8:E7:D0](rssi: -72dbm) for weak signal strength client [3C:2E:FF:DC:4A:8C](rssi: -81dbm)
roamast: roaming reject!!! candidate rssi over threshold(-70dbm)
roamast: discover candidate node [38:D5:47:D8:E7:D0](rssi: -75dbm) for weak signal strength client

What I don't understand, is why the main router dies too? The SSID is there, but unable to connect....reboot required of both the main router and the node. The node comes back up but history repeats itself after 10 minutes. The main router says the connectivity to the node is perfect (full bar), but still it disconnects.

Anyway, after a lot of wasted time, I decided to move the node next to the ISP router, and use a wired backhaul. This worked right out of the box

The placement for the node is less than perfect, but it works and I have decent coverage.
Awaiting firmware upgrades that hopefully will stabilize Aimesh and make it more robust and user friendly. If that happens, I will retry using a wireless backhaul.

Wishlist

1. Would like to see node activity on the main router - logs included
2. Aggregated bandwidth and resource utilization in one view on the main router
3. Make troubleshooting easier by adding a separate log view for Aimesh only

Summary:

Aimesh is interesting as a concept and provides a smooth (?!) path to Mesh if one is already on the ASUS bandwagon. Which I was, and therefore only researched other mesh alternatives but decided to try Aimesh.
However, it is hit and miss, and way to immature for the average non-tech user. I got it working, but still evaluating if going for Velop, Orbit or something similar is the way to go ....It's been stable for a few hours no, which beats 10 minutes. If something else happens over the next week or so, it is bye bye Asus and hello something else.

If anyone can't make the wireless backhaul work, try wired if possible.
If anyone not on the Asus bandwagon is contemplating bying a few Asus routers to try it - don't.

Disclaimer
I probably made some mistakes when setting this up. Can't tell exactly what those mistakes were, but I approached this as a regular user would I guess. I am sure someone will push back and tell me if way my own fault because I didn't do X, Y and Z (in that order - and if that didn't work, try the reverse order...), but it should be plug and play IMHO.

Thanks

New user, been reading tons of threads and posts in order to troubleshoot my own issues. Wanted to give something back by detailing my own Aimesh experience.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum - admin, feel free to move my post.

So;

House: Approx 1.720 square feet (160 kvm) - with a tricky angle thus wireless signals can barely reach from one side to the other

Router 1: ISP (due to IP TV and fiber - disabled wireless) router - IGW 3000 - pass through switch
Router 2:
AC66U-B1 - Converted from AP to Aimesh Node.
2.4 and 5 ghz SSID's​
Router 3:
RT-AC68U - Recently purchased as Aimesh router in AP mode
2.4 and 5 ghz SSID's​

Router 1 and Router 3 wired (running cables in parts of the house), but in opposite sides of the house.
Router 2 converted to Aimesh node to extend wireless connectivity to the far end of the house due to negative feedback (screaming and death threats) from family members...

Aimesh setup and experience

Upgraded firmware on the AC66U-B1 to 3.0.0.4.384_20942
Backed up config.
Restored config to the RT-AC68U (worked fine) - AP mode
Upgraded firmware on RT-AC68U to 3.0.0.4.384_20942 (not sure if I had to do this, due to the config restore)

Verified timezone alignment between the two.

Following official steps to convert the AC66U-B1 to node - Wireless mode. Worked fine, but took several attempts in order for the RT-AC68U to see it for reasons unbeknownst to me. I read from other posts that this is a common issue.

Once connected, everything worked great .....for 10 minutes.
Not only did the node disconnect (offline mode on the router), but my entire wireless setup died. Wired continued to work. I retried resetting probably 15 times to make sure I didn't do anything wrong, but the issue persisted. Everything is sweet for approx 10 minutes, then it's offline time.

Spent hours playing around with roaming assistant settings, Airtime fairness and all that jazz. To no avail.
Looking in the logs, it seems my node was disconnected because of signal strength?

discover candidate node [38:D5:47:D8:E7:D0](rssi: -63dbm) for weak signal strength client [1C:E6:2B:BF:7C:87](rssi: -76dbm)
roamast: eth2: disconnect weak signal strength station [1c:e6:2b:bf:7c:87]
roamast: eth2: remove client [1c:e6:2b:bf:7c:87] from monitor list
roamast: eth1: add client [ec:ad:b8:7c:46:9b] to monitor list
roamast: eth1: add client [38:d5:47:d8:e7:d1] to monitor list
roamast: eth2: add client [3c:2e:ff:dc:4a:8c] to monitor list
roamast: discover candidate node [38:D5:47:D8:E7:D0](rssi: -72dbm) for weak signal strength client [3C:2E:FF:DC:4A:8C](rssi: -81dbm)
roamast: roaming reject!!! candidate rssi over threshold(-70dbm)
roamast: discover candidate node [38:D5:47:D8:E7:D0](rssi: -75dbm) for weak signal strength client

What I don't understand, is why the main router dies too? The SSID is there, but unable to connect....reboot required of both the main router and the node. The node comes back up but history repeats itself after 10 minutes. The main router says the connectivity to the node is perfect (full bar), but still it disconnects.

Anyway, after a lot of wasted time, I decided to move the node next to the ISP router, and use a wired backhaul. This worked right out of the box

The placement for the node is less than perfect, but it works and I have decent coverage.
Awaiting firmware upgrades that hopefully will stabilize Aimesh and make it more robust and user friendly. If that happens, I will retry using a wireless backhaul.

Wishlist

1. Would like to see node activity on the main router - logs included
2. Aggregated bandwidth and resource utilization in one view on the main router
3. Make troubleshooting easier by adding a separate log view for Aimesh only

Summary:

Aimesh is interesting as a concept and provides a smooth (?!) path to Mesh if one is already on the ASUS bandwagon. Which I was, and therefore only researched other mesh alternatives but decided to try Aimesh.
However, it is hit and miss, and way to immature for the average non-tech user. I got it working, but still evaluating if going for Velop, Orbit or something similar is the way to go ....It's been stable for a few hours no, which beats 10 minutes. If something else happens over the next week or so, it is bye bye Asus and hello something else.

If anyone can't make the wireless backhaul work, try wired if possible.
If anyone not on the Asus bandwagon is contemplating bying a few Asus routers to try it - don't.

Disclaimer
I probably made some mistakes when setting this up. Can't tell exactly what those mistakes were, but I approached this as a regular user would I guess. I am sure someone will push back and tell me if way my own fault because I didn't do X, Y and Z (in that order - and if that didn't work, try the reverse order...), but it should be plug and play IMHO.

Thanks

The 66U B1 and 68U presumably run 68U equivalent firmware which does not yet support Smart Connect node band steering, so you'll be missing one key feature of a full AiMesh, and separate SSIDs will be required.

You mention ISP router pass-through switch... is that router in bridge mode or is it routing and serving IP addresses? And you mention the 68U is the AiMesh root node in AP mode, so not routing and not serving IP addresses?

You mentioned restoring router configuration... this is not required nor advisable when setting up AiMesh.

I suggest you re-install your AiMesh according to the ASUS Install FAQ. Be sure to first upgrade both routers to the current firmware and then GUI Initialize to factory defaults. I'd add an additional power cycle and button reset for good measure. Then configure the 68U minimally/securely (for now) from scratch (no restoring anything) and add the 66U B1 node (no configuring anything on the default 66U B1). Use separate SSIDs.

If the ISP router is not bridged, then the 68U will be configured as AiMesh Router in AP mode (the 66U B1 will be configured automatically when you add it as a node to the 68U):

ISP router <wired> 68U AiMesh Router in AP mode <wireless> 66U B1 node

Locate the 66U B1 node within 5GHz range for 4 bars.

OE

Last edited:
Hi - Thanks for your reply

The 66U B1 and 68U presumably run 68U equivalent firmware which does not yet support Smart Connect node band steering, so you'll be missing one key feature of a full AiMesh, and separate SSIDs will be required.

Looking forward to the firmware update facilitating that. However, for now I am OK with two different SSID's.

You mention ISP router pass-through switch... is that router in bridge mode or is it routing and serving IP addresses? And you mention the 68U is the AiMesh root node in AP mode said:
Yeah, should have been more precise. The ISP router is also the DNS and DHCP router. It has to be, and I can't change it. The Asus router is in AP mode, so no DHCP or anything going on. It's been like that for a while, also prior to my Aimesh endeavors, and no issues what so ever.

You mentioned restoring router configuration... this is not required nor advisable when setting up AiMesh. [/QUOTE said:
Yeah, I know. Did a complete reset last night, and set the 68U up from scratch manually, still using wired backhaul. Same result - Wired works great

I suggest you re-install your AiMesh according to the [URL='https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/' said:
ASUS Install FAQ[/URL]. Be sure to first upgrade both routers to the current firmware and then GUI Initialize to factory defaults. I'd add an additional power cycle and button reset for good measure. Then configure the 68U minimally/securely (for now) from scratch (no restoring anything) and add the 66U B1 node (no configuring anything on the default 66U B1). Use separate SSIDs.

I did follow the FAQ - yes. I did an additional power cycle, but not an additional reset.
This reminds me of my Linux days, where you had to jump through hoops just to achieve something simple. I realize it is early days for this technology, and that they have a lot of work to do in order to make it more robust, but they market this as being a proven technology that works, which it may or may not do. There are variables to this that will affect the outcome, but these variables are hidden in one or several forum threads/posts somewhere - which takes the user friendliness out of it.

Oh well. As long as wired backhaul works, I am happy. It is just the number of hours I had to invest in troubleshooting this that gets to me.
I am sure it will improve over time, and I am looking forward to the next firmware updates already.