What's new

My Cisco WAP581 using DFS Channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Is the any reason not to use the DFS channels? The only not crowded 5GHz channels around me now are DFS channels. My Cisco WAP581 seem to be working fine and fast on the DFS channels.

A problem I have with my Windows 10 laptop is if I share the non-DFS channels then my laptop will auto switch to 2.4GHz sometimes even though I have in my Intel AC7260 drivers to use 5GHz. It is frustrating to drop down in speed to 2.4GHz. I sit on the wall by my neighbors 5GHz network. Kind of in between their 5GHz network and my 5GHz network. If I use the DFS channels I don't see this problem with my laptop.

I have only experienced two possible reasons not to use DFS.

1) Not all clients support DFS.

2) If you're near an airport the router may periodically detect RADAR transmissions and automatically switch to another channel, usually channel 36. This is usually more inconvenient than just using a non-DFS channel of your own choosing.

I have been using DFS channels for over a week now and I not seen a problem. I don't have any slowdowns or stops so I guess I am OK?

I have been using DFS channels for over a week now and I not seen a problem. I don't have any slowdowns or stops so I guess I am OK?

For the most part - DFS is fine - clients in those channels need to be:

a) capable of using those channels - I have a couple of clients that don't support them
b) passive discovery - in DFS, the clients cannot actively probe, so longer to find the AP's if single band

Performance should be the same as non-DFS

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!