What's new

My internal network speed is slower than my external and I can't figure out why...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andy_d

Regular Contributor
I've tried transferring to different drives and different ways of transferring files over my network but I barely get 3.5 MB/s. I can download double that online.

I'm not sure where to begin to figure this one out. Anyone have some advice on how to proceed? I was able to transfer at 70MB/s or higher a while ago. I don't know what has changed since then.

Transfers between two wireless devices would account for the difference.

Sorry I should have been clear. The only devices that are wireless are my mobile devices. Otherwise I have cat 6 running through my apartment with...

1) Asus router in one bedroom

2) moca adapter in another bedroom which connects to a fios router that I use as secondary in the living room (serves no other purpose)

3) living room connected to a switch
I know the moca adapter is a 10/100 adapter so I don't expect speeds to it to be any better than that. That end seems fine when I tested it this morning

Could the moca adapter / fios router be showing down my network as a whole since the devices aren't gigabit?

Also could a bad cable be the reason? I have a replacement that I'm going to try but it's a painful task to have to re-wire but I'm going to do it anyway

I thought it could be due to slower drives but I've replaced my slow old green wd drives and that didn't help

Besides the cable, I'm stumped. I confirmed that gigabit shows up in nic properties where applicable. I also intend to remove the moca and fios router by running another cat 6 cable to the room

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the details. But I need more specifics. What are the two devices involved in the transfer and what is the exact local data flow?
What are the filesizes being transferred?

A network diagram would help.

thiggins - I'll have to see about drawing one up. The machine in question is my Server / HTPC. The server is connected to a switch that then with a long cable connects to the same router.

I may try the cable I have tomorrow. It's long enough to reach the router so I should be able to test it if I connect directly.

CooCooCaChoo - I don't. Never used it.

Thanks. What is on the other end of the transfer and how is it connected? Can you temporarily move the device so that it is connected to the same switch as your server and see if that improves speed?

A while back I found that manually setting the maximum speed of a network card would result in *reduced* speed rather than if I left things on the auto-configure settings.

thiggins - I just got done connecting my server to the router where my main pc is connected to as well. Same speeds. I'm going to switch back to the official Asus firmware (from Merlin) to see if that does anything

DrTeeth - do you mean jumbo packets? I dont have that enabled. Never really messed with the settings except for wake on lan

So no difference...

1) Tried flashing back to stock firmware and restoring defaults. Didn't help

2) Connected server directly to router. That didn't help either.

I may just wait to see what happens when I switch server from Windows 8 to Server Essentials to see if a fresh install any bit

DrTeeth - do you mean jumbo packets? I dont have that enabled. Never really messed with the settings except for wake on lan

No, I mean the setting in the screen shot.

Regards

DrT

Attachments

• 2013-12-14_14h43_03.png
    2013-12-14_14h43_03.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 493
Yeah that's set to auto. Changing it doesn't help either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm starting to think it may be the onboard NIC. There are some other weird things going on as well that makes me suspect the NIC. I bought a PCI express that was pretty cheap but well reviewed on Amazon. Here's hoping it fixes the speed issues. I've been trying to figure this out for like a year!