What's new

my IP showing in dns leak test in the list of DNS servers after enabling dnscrypt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spartan77777

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC88U configured with the following. Just enabled dnsycrypt and when I run the dns leak test it still shows up my IP Address in the list of DNS servers. I have to admit I don't know much about the dnscrypt but I don't think it should be listing my IP as my DNS server. What am I missing?
I would appreciate any help.

1597468048124.png

1597466942071.png

DNS Filter settings:

1597467126959.png

I can see that it is running
xxxxx@RTAC88U:/jffs/dnscrypt# ps |grep dnscrypt
17843 xxxxx 4656 S grep dnscrypt
26578 xxxxx 1432 S {manager} /bin/sh /jffs/dnscrypt/manager monitor-start
27736 nobody 784m S /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy -syslog -config /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml -child

installer says
Info: Detected ARMv7 architecture.
Info: JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled
Info: DNS Environment is Ready.
Info: DI_VERSION=v2.1.6
Info: DNSCRYPT_VER=2.0.44
Info: Manager file is Up-To-Date!

Attachments

• 1597467978193.png
    1597467978193.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 328
dnscrypt only secures your DNS traffic, it does nothing to hide your IP address. You typically would need to use a VPN service to do that.

RT-AC88U configured with the following. Just enabled dnsycrypt and when I run the dns leak test it still shows up my IP Address in the list of DNS servers. I have to admit I don't know much about the dnscrypt but I don't think it should be listing my IP as my DNS server. What am I missing?
I would appreciate any help.

View attachment 25442

View attachment 25439

DNS Filter settings:

View attachment 25440

I can see that it is running
xxxxx@RTAC88U:/jffs/dnscrypt# ps |grep dnscrypt
17843 xxxxx 4656 S grep dnscrypt
26578 xxxxx 1432 S {manager} /bin/sh /jffs/dnscrypt/manager monitor-start
27736 nobody 784m S /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy -syslog -config /jffs/dnscrypt/dnscrypt-proxy.toml -child

installer says
Info: Detected ARMv7 architecture.
Info: JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled
Info: DNS Environment is Ready.
Info: DI_VERSION=v2.1.6
Info: DNSCRYPT_VER=2.0.44
Info: Manager file is Up-To-Date!
Is it your isp`s dns you get in the dnsleaktest?
If it is, You can try and change in router gui under Tools/Other settings : Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No) = Yes

You amtm screenshot shows Unbound Manager installed. Is it running? That would show your IP as DNS.

Thanks. Looks like that did the trick. See below. As soon as I stopped it unbound my IP disappeared from the DNS list. So, may I bother you with a follow-up question?
So, should I uninstall the unbound manager then? Is it actually exposing my IP as a DNS server? I have read that they can co-exist. What is the right way to handle this? I just want my DNS calls to be encrypted and not entirely sure what benefits unbound manager provides over dnscrypt.

1597508324102.png