What's new

My laptops cannot “see” the new printer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robert Tickle

Occasional Visitor
I recently purchased a Canon GX1020 printer and connected it to my 2.4ghz network. All of my laptops are connected to my 5ghz network. My laptops cannot “see” the new printer unless I connect them to the 2.4ghz network as well. My old Brother printer didn’t have this problem. Is there some setting in Asus-Merlin firmware that will fix this situation?

I recently purchased a Canon GX1020 printer and connected it to my 2.4ghz network. All of my laptops are connected to my 5ghz network. My laptops cannot “see” the new printer unless I connect them to the 2.4ghz network as well. My old Brother printer didn’t have this problem. Is there some setting in Asus-Merlin firmware that will fix this situation?
Better tell us what WIFI settings you use.

Have not had that problem with my Canon printer. But I did give it a static ip as well. Can you try connecting to it by IP ?

Well, as the GX1020 has dual band WIFI and you connected to the 2.4 GHz band it shows that you use different SSID's for your 5 GHZ and 2.4 GHz WIFI.

I recommend that you factory reset the router, use just one SSID and passphrase with Dual Band Smart Connect. Leave the WIFI settings at default except use DFS channels if you want to use them. Let the printer and WIFI clients connect to the band they want to connect to. I bet the WIFI devices will connect to the printer. Once the network is stable you can change settings such as 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz (recommended). I would not mess with professional settings. Use WPA2-Personal as some of your clients may not like WPA2/WPA3-Personal. My Cannon printer is on 2.4 GHz (old printer) and all my clients, WIFI or wired, connect OK. I do not use a static IP address but manually assign the IP address for the printer via DHCP.

My laptops cannot “see” the new printer unless I connect them to the 2.4ghz network as well.

There is a thread discussing similar issue: