What's new

My new Asus 86u - LAN boost?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GrimmHoliday

Occasional Visitor
I bought this router so I can VPN my PS4. Is the LAN boost a useless or useful option?

I've installed RMerlin's firmware, but is there anything else I'm missing that are obvious things to turn off or opt on in the router settings? All of this is over my head! Any assistance to help me make my router more secure and better is really appreciated.

Also, how do I make my gaming connection as fast as possible while using a LAN cable? Are there any settings I can go into and disable that will make connection faster?

Just by using a 1GbE Ethernet (LAN) cable, you're solid. This is the gold standard (still). :)

Just by using a 1GbE Ethernet (LAN) cable, you're solid. This is the gold standard (still). :)

Great! I'm going through your M&M settings and applying those now. My problem is that while connecting to my VPN server (which is a city away), my friends are saying that my voice is breaking up. Just wondering if there's any obvious things to turn off so I can maximize this beautiful Asus' capabilities.

I don't need wifi with this router - would bridging it be okay? Would I maintain a VPN connection while speeding up the router? Any way to disable wifi might help? I only need it for a LAN connection.

Post the details about your VPN and others may be able to offer some optimizations for you.

If you don't need Wi-Fi, then simply turn off both radios in the Professional settings tab.

When 'bridged' (or more properly in AP mode), I don't think VPN is possible.

Post the details about your VPN and others may be able to offer some optimizations for you.

If you don't need Wi-Fi, then simply turn off both radios in the Professional settings tab.

When 'bridged' (or more properly in AP mode), I don't think VPN is possible.

Ah! Thank you, L. My VPN is express vpn. I've turned off the wifi settings so we will see how this pans out. Thank you very much! The game speed is fantastic, this Asus router is insanely quick, even with connecting to a server in another city. However, my friends say that my voice breaks up a bit. I'm gonna keep trying to make it faster. I appreciate all the help you've given me on this project!!!

Turn your mic volume down? :)

See if the following scripts help you be 'faster' (to me; less latency).

• Skynet
  • Diversion
  • Unbound
  • ntpMerlin
  • FlexQoS
Follow the Step-by-Step amtm Guide in the link in my signature below to properly setup a USB drive with those scripts (remember; you don't need to install amtm, RMerlin firmware has it pre-installed since version 384.15_0).

The link below is also useful too.

• Skynet
  • Diversion
  • Unbound
  • ntpMerlin
  • FlexQoS
Follow the Step-by-Step amtm Guide in the link in my signature below to properly setup a USB drive with those scripts (remember; you don't need to install amtm, RMerlin firmware has it pre-installed since version 384.15_0).

Hahaha, you know what, I'll even try the mic volume, why not.

Thank you for the further direction and help. Super excited to get some of these scripts going! Love getting into this world - had a blast getting this Asus up and running. Cheers L!

• Skynet
  • Diversion
  • Unbound
  • ntpMerlin
  • FlexQoS

Okay, I'm about to order a USB drive for my router, but after checking your (amazing!) guide, I have a few (stupid) questions:

1. does it have to be a USB 2.0 drive or can I use a 3? In your guide, you say to choose 2.0 in the options
2. Will changing ports disrupt the VPN functions? You say:
"Change SSH Port to '51111'. (Example port number)
  1. We want to use a different 'default' than Port '22'
  2. Anything between '49152 - 65535' is allowed for Dynamic and/or Private Ports"
I have a feeling that it's fine, but I gotta ask before I order this USB drive. I'm beyond excited to start running these scripts. The FreshJR Qos is the one I'm most interested in.

The FreshJR script has been abandoned, the one you want is FlexQoS instead.

Order a quality USB 3.0 drive (Rage Elite 128GB or larger works great for me) and test in your environment if USB 3.0 or 2.0 works better for you. What will be affected is the 2.4GHz Band performance when the USB drive is being used.

It won't change anything except for no interaction with the 2.4GHz band.

The FreshJR script has been abandoned, the one you want is FlexQoS instead.

Order a quality USB 3.0 drive (Rage Elite 128GB or larger works great for me) and test in your environment if USB 3.0 or 2.0 works better for you. What will be affected is the 2.4GHz Band performance when the USB drive is being used.

It won't change anything except for no interaction with the 2.4GHz band.

Thank you so much. FlexQoS it is! I'll order that USB right now. Truly appreciate it. I'd ideally like to turn off the wifi and use it only as a LAN signal, but without having to turn off "Radio Signal" because then I can't sign back into the router.

No, only 1Gbps ports on the LAN.

Very unbalanced, Imo.