What's new

My New Toy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Just "acquired" this baby:

Ubuntu here we come.

Super micro x8dtl-IF, 2 x Xeon 2.4ghz E6520, dual psu, 24GB mem, 8 HDD Drive Bays, no drives (yet), 4 PCI E, 2 PCI

Absolute Beast, Almost too heavy to lift.

You think it will run MC server ;)

IMG_20220920_094951035.jpg

IMG_20220920_095101353.jpg

IMG_20220920_095005852.jpg

Last edited:
2 x Xeon 2.4ghz E6520

Sorry to disappoint you, but a single Core i7-3770 has about the same processing power. You'll be burning electricity and collecting dust for no reason with this junk. Note I'm talking about Core i7 3rd Gen from 2012. Core i3 11th Gen from 2020 will make this baby cry with about 20W power consumption.

no reason
Fun, learning linux, running mc server for the kids. Not disappointed, looking forward to getting it up and running.

Basically a giant more powerful Pi, with stacks of mem.

Was free, Can sell off the parts if I don't get anywhere.

Where did the power conserving ideas go? If you want to play with Linux, get a refurbished SFF or USDT PC for $150 from eBay. They idle at about 40W or under and may be actually faster. Many come with SSD as well.

Where did the power conserving ideas go?
The money I have saved in squashing toilet rolls and using Kimchi Gas, I can put towards running this. Besides, on a nice fixed rate for now.

Might put 2 x X5650 - 2.66 6 cores in it for fun.

Last edited:
The ongoing power conserving in Europe is not about personal finances.
I don't think one old server is going to change the world. We more than do our bit.

This was a server in 2010. It's a heater now in 2022. Get rid of it, you ignorant Brexit guy... :)

I do enjoy the warm air round my legs in the winter off the current gaming rig, maybe I can put this one the other side. Noticed the right leg is getting a bit cool on one side.

That or I'll get a tartan blanket.

Last edited:
In my experience, upgrading a PC to keep it in service has always been worthwhile, and trying to repurpose a hand-me-down legacy PC has always been a waste of time and money. And typically, a server ships with legacy components for compatibility, so a double whammy there. And if you do get it running beyond its practical end-of-life, any likely component fault can leave it all dead in the water.

Recycle it and play with your kids... they'll be moving on mentally and then physically way too soon.

OE

No chance, this beast will be up and running with unbuntu or mint, by the end of the week.

And Sweet Tea.
The sweeter the better, y'all got some of that high-fructose corn syrup, be like totally useful.

I'm outta here, this stereotyping going too far.

Can I get that southern fried, stacked with triple cheese y'all.

I eat beans and toast and cheese, but I can't remember the last time I had fried chicken. And I don't consume sweetened drinks... no added sugar here... but I like English beers, among others... cold or warm.

I never say y'all.

OE

Enjoy your learning experience! Screw the naysayers.
Exactly what I thought, I just need to dig a vga cable out (eek) at work tomorrow, as I cba doing an install on another pc and swapping the drive over. I looked in the tangled nest of cables, adaptors etc in the giant plastic box at home, but I guess I thought I would never need a VGA again at the last culling.

I fired it up tonight, only thing wrong I could tell without actually having a screen was one of the psu's is a bit dodgy, but I can run it off the other one and get a new one for 30 quid if I need to. I'm sure it will be destined for my museum eventually, with the bbc micro, atari st and amiga 1200. It's not an official museum, it only has one visitor, me.

The sata interface on it is something to behold.

Also downloaded kubuntu. As recommended by a friend.

I eat beans and toast and cheese

Sounds good to me, add some black pepper and a strong tea to that for the ultimate brunch.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!