What's new

My phone can only maximize speed in one particular far off place in my apartment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ssmasterone

Occasional Visitor
As per the attached photos, my phone, a Moto Z Droid, with AC MU-MIMO 2x2 wifi, can seemingly only obtain maximum wifi downloads on a gigabit connection in one particular spot of my apartment while I'm in bed, behind two walls and a headboard, in a straight line from the router, late at night. These tests are all at 866 link rate. On the attached list, the top entry is typical throughout my apartment, with about 140 download and 220 upload at almost any time of the day. Then late at night, and only in my bed, I can go a few minutes where I can download at 450+ for a few minutes, but then 2 minutes later can't break 140. I ran off from my bed after the 400+ result and can not replicate it on my couch, which is 5 feet in front of my router. My laptop with 2x2 mimo intel ac8265 can almost consistently download over 500 at any time of the day.

What could be causing this? I actually replicated this with 2 routers, first a Netgear R7500v2 with MU-MIMO, and now currently with TP-LINK C3150 V2 with MU-MIMO enabled in the menus.

I'm pretty sure my downstairs neighbor isn't using up the 5ghz airwaves, I don't have a neighbor currently across the hall, and the neighbors downstairs and across the hall don't seem like they are hogging up all the airwaves. And I have changed channels where my router is on channel 44 and someone else is on 38, so I don't believe it is any type of interference. I've also tried other channels and auto channel select.

UPDATE: phone only maximizes WiFi when CHARGING!!!

Attachments

• fast test location.png
    fast test location.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 568
  • Screenshot_20170713-091126.png
    Screenshot_20170713-091126.png
    416.4 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Check your phone's link rate during high and low times.

Keep in mind changing channel from 38 to 44 doesn't really do anything when 80 MHz bandwidth is used, which takes up four channels.

Try changing to the high band (ch 149 up) if you think interference might be a problem.

I'd also try disabling MU-MIMO in the router. It's not doing anything for you with one device.

Keep in mind changing channel from 38 to 44 doesn't really do anything when 80 MHz bandwidth is used, which takes up four channels.

Try changing to the high band (ch 149 up) if you think interference might be a problem.

I'd also try disabling MU-MIMO in the router. It's not doing anything for you with one device.

Forgot to mention, my link rate is ALWAYS at 866 when I perform these speed tests. Even when my link rate goes down to about 320, it still usually downloads at 140. So, 866=140 and 320=140. And I have tested with MU-MIMO on and off, with no discernible difference.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, my link rate is ALWAYS at 866 when I perform these speed tests. Even when my link rate goes down to about 320, it still usually downloads at 140. So, 866=140 and 320=140. And I have tested with MU-MIMO on and off, with no discernible difference.

TURNS OUT, the phone only maximizes WiFi speed when charging. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Top result: plugged in
not plugged in
plugged in
not plugged in
plugged in
plugged in

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170807-222036.png
    Screenshot_20170807-222036.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 531
Sure, saves on battery drain which is one of the marketing points - not the wireless speed

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!