What's new

My router have huge CPU usage with firmwares 380.66, 380.67 and 380.68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VVS

Regular Contributor
My router have huge CPU usage with firmwares 380.66, 380.67 and 380.68, when I distribute torrents.
With version 380.65 I have not same effect.

What is your ISP speed?.
100 Mbit
Are you sure it was not like this before?
Yes, I am sure.
Now I installed 380.65 again - there are no problems.
I think the problem is connected to the VPN protocol - L2TP
I say that because my old N66 was acting like this with all firmwares when i downloading many torrents in the same time.

Make sure Hardware Acceleration (CTF) is still Enabled, under LAN-SWITCH CONTROL
Yes, it's enable.
I can attach a couple of screenshots for comparison:
15-06-2017_10-49-47.png
18-07-2017_22-03-43.png

Last edited:
you got a cpu of 600 mhz
do you only use torrents or other services also ?
if i am not mistaken , in the changelogs they say something about torrents getting rehashed (seeds updated or something like that ) , as it failed to do so in previous versions

if you use other services like vpn , could you try to disable it for the test run ?
or only enable vpn and see if that is the bottleneck

Greets From PowerChaos

you got a cpu of 600 mhz
do you only use torrents or other services also ?
At the moment when the problem exists, I use only torrents.
if i am not mistaken , in the changelogs they say something about torrents getting rehashed (seeds updated or something like that ) , as it failed to do so in previous versions
I do not write about the built in router torrent client, but about the usual qBittorent.
if you use other services like vpn , could you try to disable it for the test run ?
or only enable vpn and see if that is the bottleneck
I am connected to the provider via VPN.
I do not use other VPN services.

I have the same on my RT-N66U.

On 380.65_4 I can download the same torrent at 27 MB\s speed using qbittorent under Win 10 without any problems in browsing sites, playing online games, and CPU usage around 30-50%.
On 380.66 and higher I cannot get the same speed on the same torrent and CPU usage around 90-100%, router not responding, WEB is not working. Well, after reboot router is working fine for some time. but after intensive use CPU load is spiking again.

I have tested this while everything was turned off, except, 2.4G - Online, DHCP - MANUAL, IPV6 - Tunnel6to4, Firewall - On, DMZ - On. WAN - PPPOE.

No idea, I have flashed the latest stable firmware from Merlin. But, as for me, this also happens on recent asuswrt firmware too. I hope asus will fix it someday.

100 Mbit

Yes, I am sure.
Now I installed 380.65 again - there are no problems.
I think the problem is connected to the VPN protocol - L2TP

Yes, it's enable.
I can attach a couple of screenshots for comparison:
View attachment 10170 View attachment 10171

I have that kind usage with just my wifi being limited to 15/15, I dont remeber bandwidth limiter eating that much cpu just to limit the bandwidth, CTF is on too

Hell i just check my wifi device that is not limited, and will happly get do 10 MB/s , and cpu use 60-85+% just for 100mbit, 200mbit wierd barely pulls 60% cpu

I wonder is your test done on wifi too?

using 380.67

Last edited:
If you ask me both of those are high your comparing 84% to 97%.

For me those are high enough that I would not be running torrents on the router.

Do what redhat suggested Putty to the router and run the top command to see what is using the most cpu.

If you are going to continue to runs torrents off the router you need to get a dual core model cause that single core isn't cutting it.

If you ask me both of those are high your comparing 84% to 97%.
With firmware 380.65_4, the download speed is approximately 9 Mb/s - the processor load is approximately 85%
With firmware 380.67, the download speed is less than 4 Mb/s - the processor load is approximately 97%

Did you tried a factory reset?
I had a similar problem with my RT N66U. CPU load was always at 99% while donwloading. I was wondering because I didn't get the full download speed. After a factory reset it's now back to ~30% and i get the full speed (25 MB/s).

Your connection speed 100 mbit, you're connecting to ISP with VPN connection, your download speed is max 9 MB which is around 72 mbit so you can't even get your highest speed.

No one said but in opinion you're at the limit of your router.

I have AC 88u and 50 mbit connection, when I download over VPN and I get the full 50 mbit, my CPU usage is one core 40-70% other core 10-20% and AC88U has dual core 1400mhz CPU, N66 has one core 600 Mhz.

Maybe you can try NAT acceleration

i was thinking about a few things
you use the router as router ( seems i am the only one using it as repeater xD )

you got the firewall settings , dos protection and others of that

try to find the setting called DMZ
enable that for your pc ip adress and see what it does

please note DMZ -> No Security for that ip anymore ( bypassing firewall )
if then the speed is back like you want it , then leave it or start tweaking with the firewall settings , as it then likely is related to firewall or routing

Greets From PowerChaos

Your connection speed 100 mbit, you're connecting to ISP with VPN connection, your download speed is max 9 MB which is around 72 mbit so you can't even get your highest speed.
My download speed is max about 11 Mb/s
No one said but in opinion you're at the limit of your router.
Does I have a limit of my router at a speed of about 4 Mb/s?
Maybe you can try NAT acceleration
I'm using NAT acceleration.

you got the firewall settings , dos protection and others of that
Firewall - enabled, DOS protection - disabled.
try to find the setting called DMZ
enable that for your pc ip adress and see what it does

please note DMZ -> No Security for that ip anymore ( bypassing firewall )
if then the speed is back like you want it , then leave it or start tweaking with the firewall settings , as it then likely is related to firewall or routing
Once again I want to remind you that there is no problem in version 380.65_04, and in other versions there is a problem.
The settings are the same everywhere.

try official fw