What's new

My RT-N66U/US/11/P Version B1 died, Asus replacing with RT-N66R/US/11/P, differences?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rich121

New Around Here
Hello,

I had the RT-N66U, Version B1 for about 1.5 years.
I had problems with streaming video for about the past 6 months using one of the cable ports to a Sony PlayStation 3, and also had wireless problems during the same period with a HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus and ended up just using the USB connection.
Then...the router just up and died completely.

I do feel fortunate that Asus is replacing it.

I just received an email that they are shipping a RT-N66R as a replacement.

Is this a better router, different router, worse router?

I appreciate your comments

Same hardware, different branding. I have N66R and AC66R and they are identical to the 'U' hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like RT-N66U v B1 will run any of the firmware......including old firmware. As far as I know, the newer routers should only be run on firmware that is posted on ASUS website or is located in Merlin's main folder.

If you notice that Merlin has an archived folder on his mediafire. That's for RT-N66U version B1 only (I think).

Maybe someone can clarify because I don't remember exactly. Something about version B2 and flash chip.

Seems like RT-N66U v B1 will run any of the firmware......including old firmware. As far as I know, the newer routers should only be run on firmware that is posted on ASUS website or is located in Merlin's main folder.

If you notice that Merlin has an archived folder on his mediafire. That's for RT-N66U version B1 only (I think).

Maybe someone can clarify because I don't remember exactly. Something about version B2 and flash chip.

Ok...this is confusing... 3 post that they are the same/identical, but the last poster says not so?

my n66r is running merlin 34_2. if i wanted to update to current, i could and it would work. perhaps you had an early version of the n66u, but chances are if you did, this new unit will likely be an improvement.

have confidence

Use the RMerlin firmware for "RT-N66U - All Models". This will work if it's either a B1 or a B2.