What's new

My RT86U & Fios Router slow down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Subpoenaman

New Around Here
Hello, I'm new here so be kind.. About a year ago I switch from a Asus-Ac1900 Rt-ac68P router to a new Asus RT86U I've have version Fios TV/Internet. The internet speed I purchased is 950 I think it is the fastest consumer speed, when they installed the system the tech said I needed the Version Router G1100 because we had the tv and phone so he set my asus Ac1900 along with the g1100. A month later I installed the new RT86U I used my internet with wifi cameras nest and Wyze all in all they seemed to be working fine, now 8 months later I've noticed at times the cameras want me to down grade the speed from 1020 to 360 which I didn't do..today I decided to test my computer speed which is connected to the Asus Router (ethernet with cat 8 wire) I used verison speed test. verizon checks the router (their router) and then device...when i ran the test in last few days quite a few times, i disconnect and turned off all wifi where basically it only had me ethernet connected the asus which is connected to the Verizon g1100 to there outside wires. the test comes up as follows: Down speed 950..up-speed is 895 , than it tested the Device speed which I'm assuming is my desktop (only thing connected) down 334...up-speed 365. again I had all wifi off and no other connections. So now I decided to remove the Asus completely from the equations and its just my desktop ethernet cable plugged directly into the version g1100 and re did the test, it came back with ROUTER = down speed at 950 up-speed at 902, it then did the DEVICE test and it showed down speed 848 up- speed 965 so with these results it seems to be showing that my asus router is not able to keep the speed between my desktop as you can see above there is a big difference in the speed in the device section (direct from desktop to Verizon down=848 up=965) (Asus down 334 up 365) so my question is there anything in the asus router setup that I might change that would increase the numbers? when I removed the old asus ac68 to the new RT86U asus recommended to just backup the current system and just plug the new RT86U in and copy them over which I did all the ethernet cables I used in the test are new cat 8 wires originally I thought the old wire were the problem obviously not thanks for any help

Are you running the AC86 as just an AP or do you have it double NATed behind GS1100? In either case if the AC86 is setup correctly you should easily handle the full bandwidth of your ISP connection.

Thank you for the fast response, it was setup just as second router, The fios router was 192.168.1.1 and the Asus was 192.168.2.1. so I switched the asus over to the second choice AP...and saved the settings and now I am getting the fast speed's. I am having one problem I can't log onto my asus router anymore, all the wireless cameras work but I lost my brother printer (wireless) ..am I supposed to be able to log into the asus as before?, I do notice when I login to the fios router I can see all the connections that I used to see in the asus router before I switched to ap...Thank you for your help

It appears that you were in a double NAT setup. To access your ASUS router you will have to be connected to it either by an Ethernet cable plugged into one of its LAN ports or by WiFi on one o fits radios. Then you should be able to log into your router at 192.168.2.1.

Trying to access your ASUS when connected to a device on the 192.168.1.1 LAN will be difficult impossible unless you modify your routing/iptables on the FIOS router.

If you changed the ASUS to be an AP then you will have to find the AP assigned to it by the FIOS router. You should be able to by looking at a list of connected devices on the FIOS router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!