What's new

My TEW-633GR has a RealTek switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fuzzilla

New Around Here
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster. :) I think I may have something to contribute, I searched & I could not find it here so I thought I'd chime in.
My new TRENDnet TEW-633GR does not have the Vitesse VSC7385 chipset. The router is a TEW-633GR/A HW:V1.1R.
Instead it has a RealTek RTL8366SR. In fact, the board design & surface mount components appear to be exactly the same as the SMC SMCWGBR14-N Barricade N ProMax, minus the components for the USB port.

Is this a good thing? As I am a Noob I have no clue.

And, thanks to SmallNetBuilder & it's members contributions who made my choice for a router a lot easier.

EDIT: I'm told this is already a topic, please delete this if you wish.

Last edited:
Thread could be merged with this one.

Out of curiosity, what's the FCC ID of the 1.1 version? The original was a rebadge; it'd be interesting to see if they went with another ODM, or slipped a revision through without reapplying to the FCC.

FCC ID:s9ztew633gr

FWIW the CE ID:0560

HTH

EDIT: So is there a preference between the Vitesse and RealTek chipsets?

Last edited:
Spec-wise, they're pretty similar. A major impact on performance is jumbo frame support, which both the Vitesse and Realtek switches feature (along with QoS and VLAN capability). Unmanaged Gigabit switches are commodity items; there's not much variation in performance these days. I didn't find any internet buzz indicating that either model was more prone to overheating than the other (though this also depends on heatsink). Both the Vitesse and Realtek product briefs tout energy efficiency. I have a Vitesse VSC7388 (8-port of the same generation/family) that draws only 3W at the wall; you would be unlikely to realize meaningful cost savings if the Realtek did perform better. I don't have a Realtek switch to similarly test, but I doubt it would be significantly worse than the Vitesse, if at all.

Personal experience trumps bullet point comparison, but in the absence of horror stories, I'd say the switch switch (heh) is a non-issue.

As for the FCC ID, that particular ID corresponds to the original U-Media design (Trendnet requested a redesignation to the current ID in mid 2007). I don't know if the FCC requires a new application for hardware changes, but several other vendors (D-Link, Linksys) choose to.

Last edited:
@ Fuzzilla

Are they still using the Ubicom IP5x chip or have they upgraded it to the newer IP7x chip ? it will say on the top of Ubicom chip.

http://www.ubicom.com/ip7000/ip7000.php

I've had my TEW-633GR 1.1R for just over a week and this is my first gaming router and to be honest i can't notice any difference with streamengine on or off as i get exactly the same pings and everything.It doesn't feel like it does anything apart from taking some of the bandwidth for QOS and it seems abit of a gimmick but it can't be as they have sold millions of the chips.

Apart from that i'm very happy with the router it seems rock solid.

Hi Blexley,

My v1.1R has the Ubicom IP5160U, an Atheros 5416 and the MIRA RAM (looks like 5ns).
FWIW I'm fond of the totally slotted sides vs. my DIR-655's pin-hole vents. The chips tend to run about 102 to 105 degrees F vs 110+ F in the 655.

jdabbs:
I'm thinking that anytime there is a board revision the FCC is to be contacted, but I'm not certain.

Funny thing is, I was goung(oops, more coffee please) going to buy the SMC SMCWGBR14-N as it appeared to be a better board design but couldn't get past the silver finish. I wonder if the Trendy 1.1R posts numbers that are similar to the SMC?

Realtek packet memory buffer is larger than Vitesse. In DIR-655 A1/A2 it was only 96KB in the A3 is was 838KB.

@tipster: Thanks for the info.:)

@Bexley: Yup. All the pages work. I think I'd ask TRENDnet about that, or perhaps someone here as well.

Off topic, I found good info for our routers here, and in the manual for the SMCWGBR14-N.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!