What's new

N66 dead

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kneo

Occasional Visitor
Yesterday, my old N66 just stopped working and now it's not powering on at all. I don't have access to a spare adapter to check whether it's because of the adapter or the router itself.

I tried power cycling and pressing the power button repeatedly. It cannot be the power button as I always kept it on and switched the router on/off from the mains. The last thing I did was move from merlins to johns fork and set the Tx power to 100Mw instead of 80Mw. I monitored the temperature for a few days and it kept fluctuating between 52C-55C. I don't switch the router off much and it's constantly on for pretty long duration. The router itself is set up vertically with ample ventilation in the bedroom.

What are my options? Can the router be dead because of overheating (which cannot be the case as I am not a power user and at best there are 2 phones connected to the router at the same time)? The router itself is 4-5 years old

I'd put 4:1 odds on it being the power supply. The replacement does not have be labelled "ASUS" as long as it meets the voltage and connector requirements, and meets or exceeds the current capacity.

For what it's worth, the blue LED on the adapter lights up well. I have a multimeter but am not sure how to check the output at the connector end.
Checking the voltage with a meter isn't enough. You need to test how much power it is capable of. This isn't possible with a standard multimeter.

Most of the time if they fail the output voltage will be noticeably lower.

My (good) N66 supply measures 19.5 VDC with no load. Select DC Volts on the meter, put the black (-) lead to the outer shell and the red (+) lead to the inner conductor. My version of the power supply has a very small connector (about 2.5mm OD like this one) so I had to place a narrow pin inside to reach the "red" feed.

If you buy anything from Amazon note the "Support SNBForums" near the top right of this page--helps keep the doors open.

CaptainSTX is correct that the ultimate test requires more hardware, but most of the time the above will be sufficient.

Back in the day when the Linksys 54G was the router to have the included .5 or 1.0 Amp power supply they came with seemed to be their Achilles heel. Once I replaced them with 2 Amp power supplies and I still have two 54Gs running strong as fast Ethernet switches in media cabinets. The failed power supplies always showed 12 volts when tested but wouldn't power the router.

What the failure mode is on a power supply may depend on who manufactured it.

The only for sure test is to borrow or buy another supply and see what happens. As has been stated a failed power supply is the most likely cause of the router's problem.

Yesterday, my old N66 just stopped working and now it's not powering on at all. I don't have access to a spare adapter to check whether it's because of the adapter or the router itself.

Odds are it's a bad power adapter - easy enough to source another one with similar specs...

Offhand chance that it might be bad capacitors - easy enough to check by opening it up - if you see the little beer can things with crufty green stuff and corrosion...

Most of the time if they fail the output voltage will be noticeably lower.

My (good) N66 supply measures 19.5 VDC with no load. Select DC Volts on the meter, put the black (-) lead to the outer shell and the red (+) lead to the inner conductor. My version of the power supply has a very small connector (about 2.5mm OD like this one) so I had to place a narrow pin inside to reach the "red" feed.

If you buy anything from Amazon note the "Support SNBForums" near the top right of this page--helps keep the doors open.

CaptainSTX is correct that the ultimate test requires more hardware, but most of the time the above will be sufficient.
The voltage is quite steady at 19.4. No burnt capacitors too.

That, plus your earlier note that no LEDs were lit on the router, suggests that you are one of the unlucky fraction for whom the power supply is not the culprit.

Unfortunately that's not conclusive. A low voltage would say it's definitely bad, but good voltage doesn't mean its necessarily good (it could be drooping under load).

But looks like there’s nothing else I can do with it. I will just give it to some enthusiast who’s interested in opening up routers for part scavenging

But looks like there’s nothing else I can do with it. I will just give it to some enthusiast who’s interested in opening up routers for part scavenging

Buy a new ASUS router with the correct 19 V power supply. Try the new power supply with the old N66 and see what happens. If it works you have the choice of buying a new power supply for $10 or keeping the new router and putting the old N66 on the shelf as a spare or use it as an AP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!