1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

N66R Bricked After Installing RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-32L4j9527

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by I am JK, Nov 26, 2018.

1. I am JK

I am JK New Around Here

I have been running Merlin's firmware for years, but when I tried to install version RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-32L4j9527 yesterday it resulted in a bricked router. I tried installing FW_RT_N66R_300438250702 from the Asus website via the recovery tool. After installing that, I couldn't seem to get the router out of recovery mode (no amount of reboots will stop the power LED from blinking). Am I hosed?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

It's unlikely to be bricked. V32L4 was an old version from April anyway, you should have been installing V36EA or V36LA.

Try again and be patient. From recovery mode it can take about 40 minutes to flash the firmware. Ignore what the web interface says about "timed out", ignore that and just wait.

3. I am JK

I am JK New Around Here

The restoration only took about 5 minutes to upload before I was given the notification to reboot the router. I did that and now I'm back to a slowly blinking power light. Should I just leave it plugged in and turned on for an hour?

4. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

Yes, let it sit. I think the messaging may be different between different versions of the restoration tool. Most likely it will eventually reboot on its own.

At the extreme, a lot of folks start the restoration before going to sleep and just let it sit overnight

5. I am JK

I am JK New Around Here

Now it keeps failing at 1.7%.